Stubborn Fisherman will be Rewarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn Fisherman will be Rewarded

It has been no secret that the flats have been dismal so far. I've gone out several times with nothing to show for it. 3 captains have refused to go out so this year's trip with the buddies was cancelled on lack of fish. I'm on my own. Ah well, I refuse to give up my spring season because I know how good it can be, so I pressed on. With water clarity increasing significantly over the muddy mess we've had all season, this was the clearest it's been all month with a turbidity reading around 10.1. I took the chance, and I swore I'd fish it with hope regardless of the lack of fish this month.

I started from Tydings going north along the channel to see if I could find anything deeper. I saw marks around the barge but probably wasted too much time fishing it. My plan was to fish hard all the way down to Sandy Point and hit my spots along the way. As the tide fell the fish turned on...big ones. I called over a boater I passed along the way to suggest he fish the same spot as I....after hooking up with the fish in the video below, we fished together for a little and all three of us were hooked up almost simultaneously with cows. It's more fun to catch fish together. He had on one that he couldn't even move and after about 10 minutes of gaining no ground, it got off. I hooked one in the shallows that took so much line off in such a hurry I had to turn the kayak around and chase her before it took all the line I had. And then, just like that, the bite shut down and not another fish caught.

Wind picked up heavy and looked like it stirred the mud up pretty good again. Sometimes there's that small window where you just have to put in your time to be rewarded.

Here's the link to the video:
    Attached Files

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Dude, I just made one of these pics the wallpaper on my desktop for inspiration. She was a freggin hawg. Way to stay at it until you made it happen!
    -Dan Goddard, 2014 desert camo Jackson Big Rig

Comment

Nice man. My heart was thumping out there when they run.

Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Wow nice fish. I was so close to heading there this morning but ended up at mariner point instead. Ran into the same issue there too. No fish for 2 hours then got 5 in 20 minutes before the bite was off again.
        Mike

Comment

Sweet! Congratulations on the awesome catch

Comment

Hog alert!

Comment

That's awesome. I had already taken Monday off to take my first trip up there. Hope the water clarity is still good. Even more excited now after watching that. Any tips for a flats newbie?
              John D.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
              GO RAVENS!!!
              GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
                That's awesome. I had already taken Monday off to take my first trip up there. Hope the water clarity is still good. Even more excited now after watching that. Any tips for a flats newbie?
                You don't need big lures, something in the 5-6" range is perfect.
                Roam around in the middle looking for drop offs and ditches not marked on maps and fish the edges.
                Every time you catch a fish, mark it. Over the years you'll have a nice map of "hot spots"
                Shallow water can hold big girls..don't be afraid of 3' FOW on edges.
                Be stubborn and persistent. They turn on and off and you don't know when that will be.
                Take a friend to cover more water and contact each other when you find fish...that's the hardest part.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I think the new buff had something to do with it....."King of the Flats"
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Alan. I'll be prepared to cover some ground and hunt.
                    John D.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Alan,

What a beautiful fish. It was great to see you let her go free.

Terry
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Great fish Alan. Congratulations on hanging in there on a tough flats fishing year.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice. Persistence paid off!

Comment

Alan,

Fantastic catch.

Congratulations!
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice Alan. Good to see they are finally biting up there. Its funny how a week makes a difference. Was out there a week ago and got the big skunkarooo..Persistance pays off.
                              Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                              X