Puppy drum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy drum question

When do the puppy drum start showing up in the creeks? Or are they there in the spring? I don’t know much about it. I was fishing last year in early June and talking to a local guy on his dock. I asked him if he had seen any reds and he said they hadn’t showed up yet. In South Carolina I’ve caught them all winter long. Not sure how it works in VA. Are they out in the bay until it hits a certain temp?

Depends a bit where you are and how cold it got over the winter, but there are usually resident fish and fish that migrate in big schools. I’ve caught reds through the winter months in the creeks in Hampton Roads but the big schools are usually March-May time frame for the spring. Shrimp are popular for bait and lures. Once the crabs show up it’s tough to keep the shrimp on.
    J

Comment

If you're talking the Tidewater area, the guy on that dock misinformed you. Like Jman says the pups are around all winter up in the rivers. People have been catching them steadily at Rudee and Lynnhaven and in the Elizabeth for a few months now, though everyone I talked to during a trip this last weekend hadn't had any luck finding them. They move around a lot this time of year.

Comment

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X