Chincot & Gargath Sat/Sun 28-29 Jun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincot & Gargath Sat/Sun 28-29 Jun

2-Day trip to hunt flounder at Chincoteague and Gargatha Creek.

Saturday

Was on the water after 8 am at a Chincoteague launch point. Target was flounder, but today I got none of that. I did get a surprise though.

I was jigging a tandem rig with a white bucktail on the bottom and a pink Gulp mullet on top. I jigged along ledges and around the pilings expecting a keeper flounder. Around 9 am, I got a hit. A big hit. It spooled my reel; had to tighten the drag.

Couldn't be a monster flounder. No way. Again, it spooled, and again I tightened the drag.

I thought, "Maybe it's a ray, but it doesn't feel like a ray." Maybe a drum?

Fought the thing a few minutes wondering what the heck it was. I finally got it to surface.

"...saw the familiar body stripes......OMG!....OMG!....OMG!....." I thought. I never expected this around this area. It was a big sheepshead! Scooped and measured it; it was 23 inches!

(As you might know, sheepies are among my favorite to catch, and they're great on the table)

A sheepie on pink Gulp swimming mullet!?!?! That's the other surprise. I thought you can catch them on fiddlers, sand fleas, clams and green crab only. Wow, took me by complete surprise.

Reeling from the morning catch, I went on to later catch croakers and toads.

Sunday

Hit the water after 6 am at Gargatha Landing. Water was smooth. Never fished there before. It was tricky trying to find my way around the grassy channels, but I found the area to start my drifts on an incoming tide.

Jigged the bucktail/Gulp tandem rig again. Picked up a short flounder. All the while I thought about going back to Chincoteague because I figured my chances for catching another Sheepie might be better than catching a keeper flounder here.

On one drift, I spotted some fins sticking out of the water about 100 feet away. I went to check it out and saw that it was a ray. When I was about 10 ft away, it got spooked and made a quick beeline. Where? Straight toward me! It went under my yak and whacked the mirage fins. Checked it out, and the drive was OK. Now back to fishing.

After over four hours, I decided to head in and go back to Chincoteague. Just 100 yds before reaching the dock, I drag my rig again. Caught another short. Jigged again and not 10 seconds, I picked up a keeper at 17.5" (It hit the bottom bucktail). Was thinking I should now stay, but I decided to stick to my decision. Sheepies were in my head.

As I went to pick up frozen sand fleas at the bait shop on my way back to Chincoteague, I thought, "What are the chances of catching another big sheepie?.....Hmmm, fat chance, but I had to try."

Was on the water before 1 pm. Went to the same spot to hang sand fleas, but got nothing. It was an outgoing tide, so it wasn't easy staying over structure. I went to another spot and again, nothing. Then, at 2:30 pm, BAM! The sucker spooled my reel. It was big. What a fighter. Turned out to be a 25" citation sheepie.

Tally:
    2 croakers
    2 toads
    2 short flounder
    1 keeper flounder 17.5"
    2 sheepies (23", and 25" @ 13 lbs - a citation)

Very nice fishing wx. My main target was a lot of flounder, but I'm still a happy camper. Took home fish. Great trip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 07-02-2014, 07:01 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Didnt see that coming! Haha. Nice report. Sorry Gargatha was a bust for you.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
        Didnt see that coming! Haha. Nice report. Sorry Gargatha was a bust for you.
        Two anglers on a boat limited out. The fellow said they fished the "south side." Don't know where that is. I thought I fished the the south side. Hard to tell, the map doesn't look like the actual place. Anyway, cool place to fish, and I'd go back. Actually, thanks to your report/tips.

I think it was my 3rd yak trip targeting flounder this year. Gargatha produced my first keeper of the year, so that's not bad at all.
        Last edited by tufnik; 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Hey I'd take a sheepshead over flounder any day nice job! How much drag was it taking?
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
            Hey I'd take a sheepshead over flounder any day nice job! How much drag was it taking?
            Yeah, one sheepie is about 3-4 flounder meat-wise. Not to mention the awesome fight. I think it was over 10 lbs on my Revo SX. I didn't want to max the drag (which is near 20 on that reel) because of possible weak spots on the line (40# braid), swivel, knots, etc. About the same drag on my Curado 200 that caught the smaller sheepie.

Comment

Was on the water after 8 am at a Chincoteague boat ramp

Congats on the citation sheephead.Do you need a permit to use the ramp.did you used theChincoteague Downtown ramp?
              Last edited by MrT; 06-30-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Dude, that's awesome that you got some sheepshead! I've tried a few times in the past along the causeway bridges but never had any luck. I work down in the Chincoteague area and you definitely have me wanting to bring my stuff and try after work one day now!!

Funny you got it on pink gulp too. I've read about guys incidentally getting big black drum along the Henlopen walls castings jigs and they always said it was with pink gulp. Doubt there's much to it, but interesting nonetheless.
                Brian

Comment

Great report and those convicts are fat!

Comment

Wow Efrin!! That's So AWESOME!! Glad you had a great outing!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

This is an excellent report. For the last 3 weeks I have been planning a trip to the refuge before I start new job next month and after your reading your report I will definitely make it happen this weekend. I hope I get 1/2 the luck you had but if I don't, paddling around Chincoteague will do it for me. Thanks for the report.

Comment

WTG Tufnik!!! I see I need to make my way down south ASAP! LOL

Comment

Thanks, guys. If you go there, I wouldn't hesitate trying along jetties, pilings, bulkheads, etc. Many times bulkheads (at Chincoteague) have rocky and steep drops. Apparently, sheepies are there, and I don't see any reason why they couldn't be around any structure or rocks.

Comment

Makes sense!! It's definitely higher salinity down that way. I gotta get on some! ASAP!
                            Last edited by mytmouse; 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Still haven't got my first sheepie
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X