Triadelphia 9/21/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triadelphia 9/21/14

Headed to Triadelphia this morning, I have wanted to fish there for months but have never gotten around to it. I grew up maybe 10 miles from there so I decided to head over today and then go see my parents.

I put in at Greenbridge and followed the shore to the left. The water level was low so I crossed over to try for bass along the rocky shore on the other side. I got my self set and began to cast parallel to the shore. I was using a 6.5' UL rod and a tiny little Okuma 10b reel. On my second cast the rod almost leapt from my hand. After a amazing minute of fighting I pulled this guy on board.
    photo.jpg
    Not a huge fish but easily the biggest bass I have ever caught and fighing him in on such a tiny rod was a huge rush.

I continued along the rocky shore and caught 2 more bass, but they were too small to bother getting my phone out for. During this time something odd happened, I went to cast out and as soon as I released the line, I felt something funny and the lure hit the water like 5' from my boat. I looked at the rod and there was this huge knotted wad of line jammed into one of the upper eyes.
    photo (1).jpg

I have never had that happen before and have no idea what caused it. I messed with it for a bit and ended up just cutting it out and retying. I decided to poke around one of the little coves across from the ramp before I left and while I got a bunch of jerks on my line I wasn't able to hook anything. That is, until my "just one more cast before heading back". As soon as the lure hit the water, I got a hit. It felt like twice the force of that bass and it was stripping line like crazy. I knew I didnt have much line left on the reel so I started cranking like mad and tightening the drag. Even all the way locked down the fish was still stripping line and pulling me around. At one point the rod tip was about level with the reel seat, I have no idea how it didnt break. I fought it for maybe 2 min before it shot under my boat and threw the hook.

It was insane and maybe the most fun I have had in months. I do fear my poor little reel is messed up, the line is super dug in but it makes a weird noise when I spin it and there seems to be a hitch in it now. Have to unspool it tomorrow and take a look.

I headed to my parent's house and did something I have been meaning to do all summer, which is get in their pool and see what it takes to flip my yak. I was pleasantly surprised how much side to side motion it can deal with but when sitting sidesaddle it takes very little to flip it. I then practiced flipping the boat and self rescuing. While I can get myself back on board, I am not sure I could do it anything but still water. Flopping myself back on top almost causes the yak to flip back over. Clearly need to work on this some more.

In any event, it was a great day on the water and I going to try like hell to get back to the reservoir before it closes for the season.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Congrats on the PB largemouth! Sorry about the big one that got away.

One tip with spinning reels, if you have not heard this one before, get in the habit of manually closing the bail by hand (instead of reeling and allowing the reel to trip the bail closed) and then give short tug on your line against the drag. This prevents a loose loop from forming in your line against the spool (which can cause the mess you have in your second photo).
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Wow thats a hell of a knot. My guess is that a few of the following happened together:
      - Line diameter higher than reccomended for the rod/reel
      - Lure too light for the line diameter
      - Casting into the wind
      - Reeling with slack in the line
      - Previously existing wind knot
      - Baitcasting reel ( I don't know the Okuma 10b but I assume ultralight is spinning)
      I've never tried Dave's method for closing the bail but I take a quick glance at the reel every few casts to make sure the line is winding back on tight. If I ever see even the smallest loop I make sure it is removed with the very next cast, or the line pulled manually if needed.

I've always been impressed with how far rods can bend. Just never grab them by anything but the very tip to try bending them yourself. At Tochterman's they like to demonstrate the rod flex by hand... I saw a guy try to replicate it but grabbed it 8" from the tip and snapped a $150 rod very quickly.
      Mike

Comment

Yup. I snapped one of my favs doing that the other day. And it was a heavy duty jigging rod.

Comment

Working...
        X