Walleye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walleye?

Hello, throwing this question out to my sweet water peeps.

I'm mostly a saltwater fisherman, but grew up fishing for walleye up north, I'm wondering if anyone one. The board also targets them here in Maryland or Virginia out of their yak? I've been searching for lakes within a 2 hour or so drive of st marys county md, and was wondering if any of you all have had good success on the old marble eyes?

Thanks
    InshoreMac

I've caught them at Tridelphia. Not many keepers, but got 5 one day and two of them were legal. Haven't been on fresh water since about June though.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Scott - Afraid the walleye fishing within 2 hours of us is grim at best. Dam 4 on the Potomac is one of the closer spots that has a good population, but that's basically Hagerstown. I've caught them closer to the district in the Potomac below Great Falls and towards Little Falls, but not with enough consistency to say they are there in numbers. Mostly a by catch of Smallmouth fishing. I have not heard of any in Tridelphia or Rocky Gorge, but wouldn't be surprised if there was a stray or two in them - but certainly not worth going to just to target walleye.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike is right. You have a chance at 40lb Striper in your neck of the woods and are interested in 5lb-ish Walleye 2 hours away?

Perhaps a road trip to Canada is in order!

Comment

Thanks big Mike & Cowpokey. I have been searching lakes within that range and came a cross Liberty lake which sounds great for walleye and smallmouth, Until you read were there is a restriction on using your boat/ yak in any others waters because of zebra mussels. And they only issue so many permits ect. Also came across Lake orange in VA, a little over 2 hours away but sounds promising. Annually stocked walleye that get low pressure, and good crappie fishing too. Smaller lake ( 124 acres) so I don't feel so overwhelmed trying to find fish! May have to give it shot soon.

Justacanoe- yeah I hear ya, and trust me I would not turn down a large striper like that but I haven't caught a walleye in like 25+ years lol, and lots of stripers this past decade. Specks, walleye , steelhead, redfish and crappie are my favs.

Comment

I had heard a report (not on this site) back in the spring of some guy catching large walleye at the base of the dam at Rocky Gorge. But again, it seemed like a one shot deal.

I know how it is growing up with a fish I can no longer catch in any numbers. It's yellow perch for me.

Comment

Here's a PDF report from DNR on all inland fisheries in Md. It's a large report, over 300 pages, but if you search for "walleye" in the report you will get the real skinny, at least from 2013.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/p...EPORT_2013.pdf

Comment

I've heard of more coming out of Triadelphia than Rocky Gorge. At least in the springtime.
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
                X