back on the Susquehanna River yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back on the Susquehanna River yesterday

that is just a world class fishery up there in PA, water was low to mid forties, lost count around 10-11 but I landed about 20 smallmouth bass

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Good for you for hanging in there. Twenty smallies this time or year ain't easy to do unless you find a honey hole. Were they still hitting the same lure and presentation as they did on your Nov 1 trip? I'm looking at going to the Susky tomorrow (Tuesday). Weather/flow looks very good, just can't decide where to launch.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

suspending jerkbaits dead-drifted and presentations that we allowed to just tumble along the bottom
      Dave

Comment

Those are nice looking Smallies! Nice Job Dave!
        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I just can’t make that deep water fishing work for me. I went on Veterans Day (Tuesday11), 10:00am-3:00pm. I targeted a well-known wintering hole. Actually, the “wintering hole” was more like a 50+ acre lake and 8’-12’ deep. As I paddled upriver to this wintering lake I started seeing more and more boats come into view. Final count on boats in this pool was 14 bass boats and a couple of kayaks. Needless to say the wintering lake was being pounded. I fished it about 1 hour with not even a sniff.

Then I spent the rest of the trip working over the rocky shallows, my forte. The one and only fish I caught was a 15”er in 5’ of water. I had one more missed hit and a one follow. That was it for the day.

The river is very low and amazingly clear. Winds were light, skies clear, and river temps hovered in the upper 40Fs. I’m done there for the season… and I mean it this time.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            Then I spent the rest of the trip working over the rocky shallows, my forte. The one and only fish I caught was a 15”er in 5’ of water. I had one more missed hit and a one follow. That was it for the day.
            Well, you avoided the skunk. Good way to close your Susky season. Believe me, between now and March 1st I will be posting a bunch of skunks (but that just goes hand and hand with winter fishing).
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X