I'm Thinking About the Tidal Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Thinking About the Tidal Potomac

So folks I'm planning out my ideas for the 2015 fishing season.
    Based on everyone's personal experience, when do the tidal largemouth and snakeheads wake up on the Potomac and at Mattawoman Creek / Mallows Bay?

The earliest I've caught bass and snakeheads at Mattawoman is the end of April. However, that was a few years ago after a mild winter.

I'd love to hear how soon you have experienced good fishing for bass and snakeheads on the tidal Potomac and tributaries.

Thanks,

Tom

Don't know about the potomac but up here in the south jersey snakehead jungles it takes a 60+ degree water temp to get them going. Since this fishery is a lot of shallow sandwashes, a couple sunny days of 60-70 degree air temps will get them popping real quick. Largemouth are active year round but also seem to perk up once the water temp hits 60. I usually start targeting snakeheads in mid may and have my best action of the year from May to mid June while they are prespawn and hungry. I feel like they really don't eat too much in the heat of summertime because both parents are guarding fryballs and the only way to get a strike is to target the fry and pi$# them off. In my experience when they are guarding fry balls a lot of times instead of striking a bait they will just charge it, nip at it or disappear altogether under weeds. All this snakehead talk is getting me crazed for spring!!!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Late April- late May has been the best for me. They seem hungriest then, but later in the summer can be good too. As with anything timing is important. Some periods of day/tide seem to be on fire while others can be totally dead.
      Good luck out there
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

April 26 2014 - MAKBF Tourney on Mattawoman, the place had not greened up yet but I landed about 12 largemouth bass with a big of 19.5"

May 18th 2014 - I caught 6 snakeheads down at Mallows Bay, it seemed like the water had finally warmed enough for them to be very active
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Caught my one and only Snakey end of April 2013 in Mattawoman. Havnt tried again since... Im too salty now to go back...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks guys. Here's hoping for a mild winter and early spring.

Comment

Working...
            X