Illegal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal???

I was told by a friend that it is illegal to boat in a lake that has some ice in it in maryland. I cant find anything on the internet that says the same thing. Does anyone know abt this? If so pls provide the link. Thanks

Donnie
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Never heard that one, however many of the freshwater impoundments in MD do have a season and are only open during that time
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      Never heard that one, however many of the freshwater impoundments in MD do have a season and are only open during that time
      I was gonna say the same thing. It may just be that reservoirs like Rocky Gorge and Tridelphia close during winter.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I think your friend does not know what he is talking about. His parents probably told him when younger to keep his dumb a$$ home when it was unsafe.

It can be stupid at some point, but not illegal. We take kayaks out of the Upper Potomac when it ices up as birds are more on the river than anywhere. Wardens check us, know we are hunting the river, because we can't hunt the C&O Canal. They check us for birds, shotgun plugs, licenses and if you are wearing a PFD as that is law up here, but that is it.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

My friend and i know rivers are allowed regardless of ice. Im not sure if he is just referring to maryland state owned lakes, privately owned, or both. And yes we are aware some lakes are closed for the season. However he made it clear that this "lake" is open as long as there is no ice present.

Ill have to ask him again.
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
            I was told by a friend that it is illegal to boat in a lake that has some ice in it in maryland. I cant find anything on the internet that says the same thing. Does anyone know abt this? If so pls provide the link. Thanks

Donnie
            Well, he's sorta right. There are several lakes that close their lakes to boating during the winter months. Just off the top of my head I can think of Loch Raven, Liberty, Prettyboy, Piney Run Reservoirs. I'm sure there are others that have a boating season. That said, I have never heard of any law that specifically prohibits boating when ice can be found anywhere on any lake. And then the are many ponds and lakes that prohibit going out on the ice for activities like skating, ice fishing or just plain goofing off on the ice.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

ASk him to show you the law .......... doesn't matter what we say cause he will probably only believe it when he can't find it or the DNR tells him

Comment

Working...
              X