St Mary's Pickerel 4/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary's Pickerel 4/6

Hit St Mary's lake again today - the water temp had risen to 56.5 degres but the wind was still making it a little bit harder to fish than I would like. Headed up to the upper reaches looking for warmer water - surprisingly it was actually cooler than closer to the dam. I ended up trolling a Yamamoto grub up and down the channel and got 2 real nice pickerel - one was 22" and the other 20". Caught 2 bass, one was about 14" and the other was just bigger than the lure. Did not catch any fish from the standing trees today. I also tried for crappie as there were huge schools of fish showing up on my fish finder suspended at about 10' in 18' of water. Must have been baitfish as I could not get a bite from them. Hope to get out there several days this week as the weather, other than some showers looks promising.002.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Very nice getting jealous !!

Comment

Nice job! Any pickerel over 20 is a nice one
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I was quite happy. There seems to be a healthy population of nice sized pickerel in the lake. Big bass on the other hand have been elusive.
        Mike

Comment

Are pickerel any good to eat?

Comment

I've never had them. Like a northern they are full of bones making them very difficult to clean and/or eat. My grandma used to like baked Northern but i left that delicacy to her. I assume a pickerel tastes similar.
            Mike

Comment

Pickerel taste a lot like Northerns, but they are harder to debone than northern. On a side note, crappies were hitting pretty well at the lake today.

Comment

Got out today - caught 1 decent bass, probably half a dozen typical 10-12" bass and half a dozen pickerel. Water temp had cooled slightly but the bass didn't seem to mind as they had moved up into 4-6' of water. I wanted to hit Piney Point but the wind forecast out of the south makes that a dicey proposition. Plenty of shelter on the lake, but it seemed like the wind really didn't blow too bad today. Oh well, pullage is pullage.003.jpg
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X