Fletchers on Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletchers on Saturday?

Anyone going? I was going to head out there to take the new boat on its maiden voyage. Hoping to catch my first shad, blue cat, and a striper would be nice but I won't get ahead of myself. This would be my first time down there (in a kayak). Any tips to get me started? I was just gonna anchor up and throw some shad darts at the shore, while having a surf rod or two loaded up with cut bait for cats/stripers.

Any advice on currents, dangers, or anything else like that is appreciated. Was also thinking about checking out the area around Chain Bridge as I've heard a lot of guys having success down there if the current isn't too rough. Thanks fellers.

Sega
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

I just checked the water levels. Looks like there'll be some flooding peaking at Thursday. Hopefully river calms down by Saturday.
    Zack
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Keep an eye on the river levels. NOAA is predicting a rise mid-week and I would expect the river will still be at caution or danger levels for the weekend.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=brkm2

Be very cautious about dropping an anchor if you are in current. In case you have never heard of it happening, when an anchor snags bottom in heavy current your kayak can go under in the blink of an eye.

I've only fished there once so I do not have any fishing tips for that area. Good luck if you go and be safe out there!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I launched from Thompson's boathouse in Georgetown two weeks ago. Its a haul to get up to Fletchers, not super far, but the currents are strong especially as you are arriving at Fletchers. As someone mentioned above anchoring is a pain and can be dangerous. I lost an anchor there and almost turtled when I cut the rope to break free. I've decided after that adventure, when I go to fletchers I'm just going to rent on of their row boats. Its easier and safer at that location especially when the water is moving at a good clip. If the river gauge shows over 5 feet at Little Falls station, they won't rent boats at all.
        http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv?01646500

Theoretically, you can launch from the grassy/muddy area of Fletchers (not their dock during shad season), but the last time I was there it was kind of a disaster area with tons of logs and thick mud to get down to the river. Also, the tunnel to get down to Fletchers is only 7 feet tall, so you might have to park in the upper lot and haul your kayak down the hill. I really like Fletchers, don't get me wrong, but I think there are better places to take the kayak. Their row boats are very convenient and if you want to, you can bring your own trolling motor and battery and attach it to the row boat. I had grand visions last year about taking my kayak to Fletchers during shad season, but after seeing the practicality of it, its not as great now.

If you launch from Thompsons Boathouse ($3 fee) and head up towards Fletchers, you should just stop at Three Sisters (rock formation) just past the Key Bridge. The fishing can be really good their.

By the way, if you look at the link today the gage is showing its right at 5 feet and the discharge is over 22,000 cubit ft per second....considering there is more rain coming, its only going to get worse. Be safe!

Comment

Yea gage is showing some water levels that are less than ideal. Might stick closer to home if that's the case. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Good idea not to go until flows settle down. I'll attach a USGS link to a site that makes flow predictions for the Potomac for 3 to 4 days in the future. Data is presented using an easy to understand graph form. I use this site all the time to plan fishing trips to Fletchers. It's

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...2&refresh=true
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Fletchers will not rent boats when the guage at little falls is above 5 FYI
              2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

Hi Sega

I go there often. I agree with Dave about getting caught in a strong current and can easily capsize your kayak. However there are lots of places at the cove where the water flow is slow and safe to anchor. Very important to use an anchor where you can retrieve after getting stuck. I use a 3 lb grapnel foldable anchor. I tie the rope to the bottom eye and then run it up next to the top eye. I then use the thinnest plastic tie and attach the rope to the eye. It should break off after applying 20 lbs of pull. (bring extra ties with you) The closer you get to chain bridge, the stronger the currents. It's a workout but I've managed to paddle all the way up there. I will absolutely not think about anchoring up there. I'll just drift back down to fletcher's cove catching shad along the way.

As for fishing catfish, you will need to get closer to the channel but unfortunately that's where the strong currents are at. I had thought about fishing for strippers while doing shad fishing.... it's just too much hassle. My suggestion for your first time out just focus on shad fishing and master your skill with anchoring. It's quite fun and you should catch at least 10 per outing using shad darts.

Donnie
                Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

i was there last Saturday. Water level was just below 5'. There is no way I would anchor a kayak in that current - their row boats are the way to go. i fished from 6:15 to 9:15 - very few fish were landed by the 30+ boats out there.

Comment

This weekend (at least Saturday) is going to be hazardous. The USGS forecast is for over 6' at Little Falls.
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

It's over 7 ft right now and the flow hit 60,000 cubic ft per second...it's downright raging near Chain Bridge. Bummer for fishing over the next few days. Looks like this might be the high point though and will hopefully calm down by next week...maybe Sunday if we're lucky.

Comment

I'm losing patients with this last storm event. Seems like its taking for ever for the river to get back into fishing shape. At least this coolish weather for the next several days will slow down the shad run.
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                        X