No Yak -Flyrod Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Yak -Flyrod Fun

I went by the C & O canal last night. I took the flyrod and some little panfish poppers. Had a blast! The sunfish were stacked up in the canal and they loved the popper. They seemed to care about the color. They wouldn't hit a black popper, but I tied on a little mustard yellow one and they loved it.

I caught one small LMB, but quit counting after about 30 sunfish. A few were nice sized, but none were large by any stretch of the imagination. Just a lot of fun.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Cool Gary. Were you in the Pennfield/Swains area?
    How was the river looking? I'm getting an itch to hit the Potomac soon.

Comment

Swans. I have been to Swans twice now. Two weeks ago, and last Saturday. Both trips it was high . I caught one nice 17" Sallie and a smaller one. Last Saturday the best I could get was a 14" . I wasn't surprised it was high two weeks ago because I spent week watching gauge come down after the slug of rain we had. I was surprised last Saturday as we hand;t had any rain but level was still high. I guess there must have been some good storms upstream. You can see the big spike on the gauge graph. It has settled down pretty good and looks good right now.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Yes, I was surprised how high it was last weekend too, so I stayed away.

Comment

Have you seen any decent amounts of carp in the CO down that way?
          Zack
          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
            I went by the C & O canal last night. I took the flyrod and some little panfish poppers. Had a blast!
            A sunfish in a pond was my first ever catch on a fly rod. I still get a kick out of catching them. I fully understand your joy.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I love fishing the canal, however, I hate the traffic between Annapolis and Potomac! I still try and get out there every few weeks. I mostly park at Swain's and walk either north or south. I seem to catch more bass south, but bigger bass north. I defiantly see many more carp to the south.

I am out of town for a month or so but as soon as I get back I want to take a little overnight hiking trip along the canal. Just take it easy and amble along slowly fishing for a day or three. I would love to do a combined river/canal kayak trip but I want to get some more experience under my belt before I try the Potomac.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
              X