Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Gorge-5/14-skunked again!!

Hi Folks,
    I went out on Rocky Gorge again yesterday evening after work. Launched at 5:00 PM at Supplee (I work in Laurel). After the discussions on the last thread, I skipped the Supplee area and went up to the stumps area, and started fishing the cove on the Howard County side immediately downstream of the stumps area (there was a guy in a bass boat fishing in the stumps field). I worked the shaded side of the cove, from the mouth to the back, but didn't even get a bite. Fished a chartreause spinner bait, green pumpkinseed senko worm, and a floating 4" shad colored Rapalla along the shoreline all the way. Nothing. Crossed the main stem and tried the cove on the PG side-nothing. Went further upstream and fished the point of another cove on PG side. Lots of down trees and cover. There were a couple real nice surfaces at the point which were nice heavy fish, and close to me. I fished the spot within one minute, but still no hits. Fished the same spinner bait, worm, and Rapalla but no luck. I then put on a buzz bait since it was a surface I was going after, but no luck. I don't get it. I'm 0 for 2 on my last two trips to Rocky.

I was considering going to Browns Bridge, but it looks like a real long way down to the Rt. 29 bridge for an evening trip starting at 5:00 PM. On the satellight view from Mapquest, it looks like a real small channel. Is the fishing near the bridge any good, or do you need to get down to the lake? Is there much emmergent vegetation for good habitat, or is it all wood/bass type of stuff?

Maybe I'll kill them next trip!

Severn Gary.

The paddle to Browns Bridge would probably take 5-6 hours. Browns Bridge is very shallow and you'll prob want to use shallow water lures like 1/4 or 3/8 oz spinnerbaits and DT-4s and 6's. I've had better luck around the 29 bridge. That is where the reservoir transitions from being deep and lake like to shallow and riverlike. It's a long paddle to that middle section and back (8-9 miles roundtrip) but it holds some good fish probably because of less fishing pressure from the Browns and Scotts areas and the transition region might attract more baitfish. The shoreline across from Scott's Cove has an area with a series of smaller coves on the PG county side. I've caught some medium sized fish there. Also time of day might be a factor too. This time of year early morning is probably going to be better than middle of the afternoon. If you paddle to the 29 bridge, I recommend packing light and paddling in a straight line over deeper water until I get to the first bend. I normally cut down on the amount of tackle I take to that area and just stick with medium speed presentations like a spinnerbait.
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Here's a map I made compiled from my fishing and some reports from people I talked to. Take it with a grain of salt though because from what I've seen, the fish move around a lot at RG.

a.jpg

Comment

The next cove over from cove 2 in your diagram I have caught more crappie than I can count. There is one specific tree/bush that hangs down in the water that holds so many crappie in the spring it's not funny.

Comment

Thanks Perchy, great map! Changed it up today and went out on the Severn near the Naval Academy trying to get a rockfish. I did get one 16" on a green gulp grub.

Comment

There are some rockfish in Rocky gorge also but they are hard to find. Also walleye and smallies are present but I have not caught any yet.

Comment

Gary, Im going ot on Sat. morning. If you want to meet me I really dont mind putting you on some quality bass. Just let me know.

Comment

MarylandBass Fishing: Thanks for the very generous offer, but I'm grounded this Saturday. My son is graduating and we're putting on a party at my house. Don't think the wife would take kindly to my disappearing fishing "again"! Will be out of town traveling for the next two weeks, so I'm basically done for a while!

thanks

Gary

Comment

Understood, my son graduates on Tuesday. Just let me know when you want to go. Im local so its no big deal. I suggest a Sat. or Sun though so we can go early am.

Comment

I hit RG yesterday after work and did fairly well. Nothing huge and Most of them were around the 17" mark. I usually leave out of Scott's and have a lot of success in the first three coves on the right. The third one being the best. Most of the fish I caught were in 6-10' of water or in flooded shoreline cover. RG was pretty high yesterday and the fish I caught were closer to the mouths of the coves. I threw a football jig, crankbait and shaky head and was successful with all 3. image.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
                    Wilderness Systems Ride115
                    Wilderness Systems ATAK
                    www.paddlinforbass.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice job dude

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Eikenberg View Post
                        I hit RG yesterday after work and did fairly well. Nothing huge and Most of them were around the 17" mark. I usually leave out of Scott's and have a lot of success in the first three coves on the right. The third one being the best. Most of the fish I caught were in 6-10' of water or in flooded shoreline cover. RG was pretty high yesterday and the fish I caught were closer to the mouths of the coves. I threw a football jig, crankbait and shaky head and was successful with all 3. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15871[/ATTACH]
                        I'm pretty sure those bass just wanted a close up look at the ATAK!
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                        X