Upper Potomac carpin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac carpin

Went out today on the Potomac (left the kayak home) with the goal of getting my first carp on the fly. One hookup all day and this is how it went.https://youtu.be/SmTQRtDZ5RE

It actually straightened the hook on my fly. Can't wait to get on em again.
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

cheater! lol
    sigpic

Comment

Carp on a fly rod is crazy fun! I've landed a bunch of them from my kayak with a 6wt.

What fly were you using?
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Ha yea I don't know if he was snagged or if he took it, as there were a lot of carp where I was casting. And he was fighting kind of funny the whole time. But I was just using a small black fly I throw for smallmouth ( I have no idea what it's called).

I met a guy down there who said he had a really good day throwing crayfish patterned flies. Idk I'm still trying to find a rhythm on what works for me. They're a blast though.
        Zack
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Curious. Were you using a floating line or a sink tip.? Was your black fly a wet or dry?

Comment

I use floating line for all of my fly fishing. I really only fly fish the doah and upper Potomac so for the most part even with floating line I can get my wet flies to the shallow bottom of the river. It was a wet fly.
            Zack
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Working...
            X