December Float Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December Float Trip

I'm planning a fishing trip for late December and I'm hoping to get some feedback from members here. Currently I'm looking at the New River, but I'm open to any river within 400 miles of the DMV. I'd like to stay on the river for 4-5 days, camping overnight. In total, I'll be looking for 25-30 miles of river.

Any advice on stretches of river would be appreciated. I'll be taking my 15' Gheenoe or a drift boat. Regardless of which one I take, I need stretches that have water. Neither will be good to portage over stretches of gravel. With the gheenoe I can separate everything for shorts hauls around dams, if that's a necessity (not really ideal).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youghiogheny River?
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

The youghiogheny could work. Thanks!

Comment

The Allegheny can be good in December as well.

Comment

Any experience on the northern stretch? That looks promising with 40 miles and islands to camp on. Can it be navigated in a micro skiff?

Thanks Backdoc

Comment

My friend lives in Pa. He works at International Angler and used to guide that river. I will ask him and get back with you.

Comment

New River near Blacksburg va. Float towards pembroke or eggleston.

Comment

Much appreciated widgeon

Comment

Tangent outfitters is a local source of info down there. And new river junction campground is also one of the closest launches near Blacksburg. McCoy falls is where I fished when I went to Virginia Tech.

Comment

Working...
                  X