Sandy River Resevoir - VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy River Resevoir - VA

My youngest son and I took the kayaks out yesterday. Late start, had some other early morning duties that kept us from getting there till about 0930, so we missed a really good part of the day.

We only caught one small bass each. I caught mine on a small hula popper and he caught his on a Mepps 2. Mine not long after we got there, his later in the afternoon.

This is the only place I've been so far that has a kayak/canoe launch ramp. Plastic bars screwed to a concrete ramp (about like a sidewalk that goes down the bank into the water). I put mine is the traditional way (slightly wet feet) and he road down the ramp in his. Just pulled it onto the rail, got in and sort of shook himself and down the ramp it slid.

We'll be going back. Lots of fish on the depth finder between 10 and 18 feet when you get off the bank. Some parts of the lake have pretty steep underwater "banks. Ten feet off the bank can be 10 to 15 feet of water.

Looking forward to some colder weather trips on the 3rd or 4th day of a winter/early spring warm up. A couple of the coves/creeks run east to west for a good ways and should be fun when the water temps move the fish up shallower on those warm afternoons.

We tried some trolling (lures, jigs, lizards (actually just dragged lizard on the bottom) but didn't get any bites.

Did a lot more paddling than normal and covered a lot more water than normal and I was wore out by the time we got home. Woke up in the middle of the night with a throbbing left shoulder. Must have got some exercise Big Grin

My son got to see a gray squirrel swimming across the lake (who knows why a squirrel jumps in and swims across a lake?). I saw one swimming across New River years ago.

I had something happen to me for only the second time in my life. Hung a frog up in the limbs of a bush just off the water. Started jerking/twitching the pole tip and the frog flipped off into the water - the line was still hung up. Got the line loose, finally managed to get to the frog. Hit a limb just right to unsnap the swivel (I've used them since I was a kid except on worms/jigs/grubs.)

The weather was great. Sunny, slightly windy at times, about 70 F. Everyone who went by us in a gas powered boat slowed down before they got to us and waited till they were by to speed up. That was surprising. Nice to fish around so many considerate people. And my son got to spend all day away from work, away from the house and doing something he loves doing.

I've had my eye on this lake and have been looking for an excuse to put the 8hp on the skff and go give it a try. (to learn a new lake I'd prefer skiff to my canoe to cover more water faster and get a sonar scan more of it for big arcs).

do you have any pics of the water? also was it heavy aquatic vegation? how about water clarity? (no need to answer, but I'm curious as all would affect what tackle I take there on a first trip).

Comment

Not much vegetation. A little in some of the creeks/coves out maybe 4 or 5 feet from the bank. I little grass, a little small floating weed leaves.

We could see bottom in 2 to 3 feet of water, but we didn't know if it was still affected by all the rain of a couple weeks back. The rivers are still up/muddy. so the lake might be clearer the longer we go without rain.

Yeah, if I was taking a boat/motor I'd be doing some trolling. Lots of 20 ft. plus deep water. Ran across lots of little points under the water where the depth would go from 20/22 feet deep to 10 or 12 and then drop off again.

Comment

thanks for the intel. sounds like my kind of lake with depth and structure. not much into flipping heavy mats.

Comment

Working...
        X