Quest for Cold Water Potomac Smallie - 12/12/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for Cold Water Potomac Smallie - 12/12/15

I went to try and catch a cold water smallie today from the Potomac. I can't catch a smallie after October. Beautiful weather. Saw 3 jet boats deer hunting. Saw another guy going kayak fishing in a t shirt and no PFD. River was clear. No wind. Air temps around 64 degrees. I couldn't find any smallies. The only fish I saw was thousands of minnows hugging the bottom in a creek. I couldn't find river fish anywhere, so I'm obviously looking in the wrong spots. Found a couple of decent sized eddy areas near shore, but nothing there. Nothing near some ledges that I checked out. Beautiful day to be on the water. Looks like I'm done until Spring.

Last edited by DanMarino; 12-14-2015, 06:21 PM.

Looks like Pennyfield. Did you try a tube bait in the gas pipe trench upriver?
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks Big Mike. I fished a tube, but not there at the exact spot you mention. Maybe next time I'll give that spot a try.
      Last edited by DanMarino; 12-12-2015, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I have fished Pennyfield a bunch, I also fish swains Locke a lot. Penny field has been slower than normal this year, and fish have been harder for me to find.
        We fish tubes and spinnerbaits there. The pipeline is good, but we end up fishing around the shoreline ledges etc.

Swains locke has been the slowest I have ever seen it this year, in the summer we float from violates to swains, and this year it's been abnormally slow. Especially swains,
        I used to crush it at swains, always catching numerous fish, and this year I have been skunked 2-3 times out there, i think it's the water or fish moved south...?

Comment

Great photos. I had no luck at the meet and greet. But all is well. It was still a great day to be out on the water. Hope next time leads to better results.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
          Tan-Tarpon 140
          Lime-Pelican Matrix
          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Try ned rigs and suspending jerk baits. We're still catching em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
            X