St. Mary's Lake in the snow, 1/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Mary's Lake in the snow, 1/17

Kevin and I hit St. Mary's Lake today in search of pickerel and maybe crappie. I felt like I was fishing in a Ridley Scott movie with all the flakes swirling around dramatically:

We hit some of my usual spots, but the pickerel were out deeper in 12-15ft. Kevin found the first one:

Later, he found a 19-incher while trolling:

It seemed like we were seeing a lot of marks in 12-15ft of water, so we started trolling. I only had one deep diver with me, but it was good enough to catch a 13-inch yellow perch (personal best!) and several bass in the 12-14" range:

Most of the bass I usually catch there are only in the 8-10" range, so this was a nice improvement. We never found the crappie, but I was pretty stoked by the big perch.

I caught all my fish on a deep diving Bass Pro Crappie Maxx crankbait in chartreuse and white. I'm not sure what Kevin got his fish on.

Fishing in the snow was a lot of fun, and it was warm enough that our stuff wasn't freezing to our yaks. It was a nice way to catch my first fish of the year.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

That's a sweet perch. I'd caught some decent bass in the spring/summer so maybe the size is improving since they've stopped doing the winter drawdowns. Really surprised you couldn't crappie, but that's fishing. Great mid winter report.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I was happy to be on the water regardless of the weather...but especially happy we decided to forgo the long trip to Weems we had planned. With the weather, staying close to home felt good

I caught the first fish (pickerel) on a Havoc paddletail vertically jigging. I had other hits but only got the one to stick. i had been piggy backing on Ictalarus Bill because i forgot to hook up mine (I beached and did so eventually....but no battery. grrrr). He was a tiny bugger but happy to have my first fish of 2016! First time in years my fist fish wasn't a blue catfish.
      Then Bill trolled the monster perch and off we went trolling which was fine by me as it was getting really cold sitting and vertically jigging. I missed a couple more fish while watching Bill land bass after bass, but eventually something nice hit my little perch colored shad rap. It turned out to be the worlds skinniest 19" pickerel.My shivering hands made for poor picture taking so you'll have to take my word...lol.

In all a fun day and great to have the Jan. skunk off the boat. I may be changing my mind about StMary's lake. One last pic.....that is Bill in the distance releasing a bass
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Love reading a Jan. catching report. I was wondering.... what the hell is that on Bill's head?

Comment

Great pics in the snow, and you guys are TRUE fisherman. Don't let a few flakes deter you

I hope we can hook-up in the spring for some SoMo fishing.

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA 14
          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
            Great pics in the snow, and you guys are TRUE fisherman. Don't let a few flakes deter you

I hope we can hook-up in the spring for some SoMo fishing.

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA 14
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            We'll be catfishing in Feb i'm sure. I'll let you know .....if we plan ahead that is.

Comment

Thanks, gents.

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
              I was wondering.... what the hell is that on Bill's head?
              Ha! I needed a warm and waterproof hat today. Kept the same color though.

Mike--I definitely don't have your knack for finding the nice bass there, but I have scared up a couple big perch in the late winter/early spring. This was the first one I actually landed. I've lost a frustrating number of them at the boat.

Yak67--The more the merrier, but planning can be tough for me sometimes. I've got a daughter that throws a mean veto sometimes.
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Way to battle the elements Gentlemen! That's a nice perch, citation if it was white as snow
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Good job catching a variety of species yesterday. Given the weather you made a wise choice not to drive to the Severn yesterday. I hope to fish with you guys later in the winter.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report and congrats on your catches! I was also out, but only managed one. Glad you all fared better
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nobody trolls for pickerels...except you guys! Congratulations. Great report.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Trolling for pickerel in SML is a very effective way to catch them. I'd say 75% of pickerel I've caught from there were trolling grubs along edges with a nearby flat. Just like fishing for stripers it lets you cover a lot of water with the lure at the right depth.
                        Mike
                        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          We do like to troll.....but today it was more self preservation than tactics
                          Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                          Thanks, gents.

Ha! I needed a warm and waterproof hat today. [emoji14] Kept the same color though.

Mike--I definitely don't have your knack for finding the nice bass there, but I have scared up a couple big perch in the late winter/early spring. This was the first one I actually landed. I've lost a frustrating number of them at the boat.

Yak67--The more the merrier, but planning can be tough for me sometimes. I've got a daughter that throws a mean veto sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Don't tell anyone, but I've been known to troll for catfish, too. Rattletrap + Smelly Jelly = blue cat candy.

John--I'm long overdue for a Severn trip. I really want to get up there for my Severn pickerel fix. They're consistently a nicer grade than the ones I get in St. Mary's Lake.
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice catching! and glad to see you back on here with a report Bill!
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X