No announcement yet.

Trout Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trout fishing brings back so many memories.

In high school (PA) around 1960 a couple of buddies went north to Shohola Falls for opening day. We camped out and woke up under a foot of snow. Our guides kept icing up all morning.

Fished with my dad (who was not much of a fisherman) opening day at a local pond once when I was 14. My only memory is he kept holding the spinning reel upside down and cranking with the wrong hand. He never learned to work one.

In MD I scouted a hole loaded with trout in Jones Falls and showed up opening day before dark to find I was the only one there. I loaded up on trout and then caught and released them until I was tired.

In PA as an adult we stayed at a cabin on the Little Loyalsock Creek to hit the opener. At one hole two guys were dressed in tuxedos with a small table, chairs and a pitcher of martinis at daylight. Bizarre. My friend hooked and lost a big rainbow opening day and announced he was going back to get it the next day but got so drunk he couldn't get out of bed. So I went and fished the hole and caught the trout. He was pissed.

Like I say....so many memories.

Comment

Originally posted by M1A4ME View Post
      Zack, my folks live in western Greenbrier County. Not sure how far you are from Richwood but there's a small lake up there called Summit Lake. The biggest trout I ever saw was in that lake. We were floating out there one sunny summer day casting spinner baits when I heard a funny gurgling noise and turned my head to look over my right shoulder. That fish was all the way out of the water, vertical and beginning to fall back down into the water. I don't know why it jumped that far out of the water. I assumed the gurgling noise I heard was water running back out of it's gills as I could see water coming out/off it on it's way back down into the water.

Summit is also were I caught that 19.5 inch rainbow on a cold Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). I was fishing because an out of state deer hunting license is stupid expensive in WV.
      Yea I'm a ways from there (I'm 2 minutes from the MD border) but I'm pretty sure that's the area where my buddy's cousin guides out of. Somewhere near Harmon? He's apparently some well known guide who they did a segment on fly chronicles about. Big fly fishing country out there.
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

yessir I too am from WV and the trout management is not there. I have a group NCWVKA North Central WV Kayak Anglers .. check it out im located in Marion county and plan to get out LOTS this season
        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I usually fish for trout a few times every spring- small Mepps on UL spinning tackle is the way to go...five fish limit usually takes about an hour or so...I only troll one rod for them when I troll...most times I already know where they hang out so I just get to the spot and cast for them...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            I usually fish for trout a few times every spring- small Mepps on UL spinning tackle is the way to go...five fish limit usually takes about an hour or so...I only troll one rod for them when I troll...most times I already know where they hang out so I just get to the spot and cast for them...
            Yes Ron usually limits in an hour then watches me and Bill futilely flail at them for the next couple hours
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Come on now- I get lucky ever once in a while but...Kevin and Bill are right there with me catching them just as fast as I do

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Come on now- I get lucky ever once in a while but...Kevin and Bill are right there with me catching them just as fast as I do
                LOL...If you remember last trip you limited out in about 45 min and I fished all day for how many before you left? ........ZERO! (I did catch one scrawny one after you left)
                Though you are right, not fair to lump Bill in with me...he caught a limit that day too.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Corn is an under-appreciated bait. I've caught trout on it loads of times, though I usually use nightcrawlers and spinners. I also caught a 26" catfish on a small trout hook with maybe 2 kernels on it, while fishing for carp. IMO carp are one of the hardest fighting fish you'll catch readily out of local Maryland reservoirs, and corn works wonders on them, provided you throw a line out intending to wait a good while, and set the drag low. They will drag a rod into the water, happened to a friend of mine at one of our spots. And they will snap 6 or 8 pound test if they thrash hard enough.

Comment

Carp are a much sought after sport fish in Europe- special tournaments much like our bass and walleye tournaments...specialized rods, reels and accessories- just for carp...we consider them and many others as "trash" fish...

Comment

I was in Chicago for work last year and had a free moment and decided to go check out a tackle shop I had passed the day before. It turned out to be a all Carp fishing store run by an English expat. He became very excited when I told him where I was from, as I guess the DC Tidal Basin is a famous carp fishery. It was totally bizarre, like, other then the rods and reels, nothing was familiar. I talked to the guy for like 45min and bought a small carp kit to be polite. I went back to my hotel and spent hours watching carp videos on youtube, it is strange stuff. One guy was packing cubed Spam into some kind of dissolve-able plastic bag, then using a huge slingshot to launch it into a canal, then cast the same bait into the chummed area. I will say the English carp guys seemed incredibly conservation minded, even to the point of applying antiseptic to the hook wound before release.

They also seem big into bringing a small tent along and napping while out, which has a charm to it.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        I'm really looking forward to some trout fishing. Local areas near me are Deer Creek and the Gunpowder River. Sometimes I get this mentality that if I'm not in my kayak, then it's not fishing. It's nice to wade through the river and get back to my roots before I started kayak fishing.
                        I have never fished for them from my kayak, only walked the banks of the creeks MD DNR stocks every year. With that said, I use a very, very small hook w a small split shot 12" up the line & the GULP, colored trout baits...color doesn't seem to matter. I simply cast or more often, just drop the bait into the deeper pools at the creek bends or next to fallen logs. DNR is currently stocking but take note, that many places have DELAYED harvest so take note of when the creeks are truly open to fish...just because it was stocked doesn't mean its open yet to fishing.
                        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I've also not targeted trout so far. But looking forward to give it a try. May be end of the April month I'll go for it.

Comment

ahhh ok, i get it now. thanks!^ .....

Comment

Working...
                            X