Hitting the cycle at St mary's Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting the cycle at St mary's Lake

For various reasons I wasn’t able to get out this week until today. As I loaded the Expedition I had a decision to make, Piney Point or Saint Mary’s Lake. The wind forecast had me choosing the smaller water and it turned out to be a great decision. Got on the lake around 10:00 and headed towards the upper part where it’s shallower hoping to find warmer water. Once I got there it was game on. Fish of all kinds were in a cooperative mood and I ended up with the SML slam, Pickerel, Bass, Crappie and Yellow Perch. The pickerel were mostly hammer handles but I boated 8 of them, 4 medium to small bass, 1 very nice yellow perch and I stopped counting the crappie. As the morning progressed the winds increased substantially and I had several lighter items launch themselves over the side of the yak. Called it a day around 1:00 when my fish rag was blown overboard and sank unceremoniously out of site.
    For those who want in on the secret – I fish one and only one bait 95% of the time in SML – a 4” Yamamoto grub in green pumpkin. It catches everything that swims in there, including the rare catfish. Best part, take off your Z-Man, put on the Yamamoto and you’ve gone from salt to fresh in a matter of seconds.

007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Way to go Big Mike! that was a great day on SML. Great weather until the winds came in.

Got to get that lure and hit SML this year and get my fresh water fix.

Yak67

2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

never thought of going to st marys for yellow perch, might have to give it a try. did you go in yak or shore?
      Native Watercraft Pro Staff
      2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
      33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
      2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I was in the yak. The yellow perch are a one or two type catch in the lake I've never found a big concentration, they seem to be mingled in with the crappie.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Very nice Mike.

I haven't been to SML in years. I need to return.

I really enjoy pond and lake outings. Very peaceful.

Earlier this week John Rentch and I hit two ponds on the Eastern Shore. We had both locations entirely to ourselves. Unfortunately the fish didn't know we were there either! Our catches were minimal but I got some bass and even a crappie to rise to a fly rod popper. I don't think I've caught fish on a popper in MD in March before. Based on the reports here both tidal and freshwater fish seem to be a little ahead of schedule this year and that has been a good thing.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X