Shad came in full force - Mar 23, 2016, Occoquan River, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad came in full force - Mar 23, 2016, Occoquan River, VA

I thought shad might have come in full force earlier than usual because of warm winter we had.
    I was right. Shad came to Occoquan River in full force.

This time I used homemade (by Brandon) gold spoon with a long shank hook. For him, it cost about 30 cents for parts plus his labor. Making lure is his hobby.

My strategy was simple – wearing the lucky gloves. I caught many shad on his home made lure. The release was easy and fast because of the long shank hook.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    I thought shad might have come in full force earlier than usual because of warm winter we had.
    I was right. Shad came to Occoquan River in full force.

This time I used homemade (by Brandon) gold spoon with a long shank hook. For him, it cost about 30 cents for parts plus his labor. Making lure is his hobby.

My strategy was simple – wearing the lucky gloves. I caught many shad on his home made lure. The release was easy and fast because of the long shank hook.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Hey Joe! Awesome video, I might have to take my kayaks out with a buddy soon since the weather is getting better + occoquan state park is so close (only about 8 minutes away)! Do you have any tips or suggestions on which direction I should head to once i launch? Also, i'll be on paddle yaks so is an anchor necessary out there? Not sure how strong the current is haha,
    Thanks again, tight lines!
    Nikki

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
    Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14

Comment

Originally posted by keahyun View Post
      Hey Joe! Awesome video, I might have to take my kayaks out with a buddy soon since the weather is getting better + occoquan state park is so close (only about 8 minutes away)! Do you have any tips or suggestions on which direction I should head to once i launch? Also, i'll be on paddle yaks so is an anchor necessary out there? Not sure how strong the current is haha,
      Thanks again, tight lines!
      Nikki,
      Current is very mild. But bring an anchor. The depth of water before the second bridge can be 15', 10' after the second bridge (toward the dam). It seemed that you never been to Occoquan regional park. The fee per kayak is $5 for the Fairfax county residents. I don't remember the fee for the non-residents. So have one and 5 dollar bills. There is a deposit box near the kayak launch. Don't put the envelop into the box near the boat ramp.

From the launch, Make a right to the RT 123 bridge, not toward 95 bridge. (95 bridge is fall line for the freshwater and saltwater licenses). Shad will be from the RT 123 bridge to the dam, After RT 123 bridge, there is another bridge (second bridge I mentioned). We caught shad around that bridge. There will be bank/shore fishermen. So stay away from their casting ranges.

Shad aren't shy. They can bite right at the kayak. Use small gold spoon (i.e., KastMaster casting spoon 1/12 OZ), chartreuse or white grub, shad dart. you can use a double rig. I like single gold spoon. Make sure you add a sinker 1/4 - 3/8 OZ 2' away from the lure if lure is too light to cast. Cranking reel speed is as you see on the video.

People use light tackle. Lighter is better. I use ultra light tackle for crappie, a 4' long rod and reel combo. So I can't cast very far. I use 10-15 braided and leader is 15# test mono.

Once you found the shad, anchor the kayak if needed

A mushroom or 3lb grappling anchor will do the job.

Check with the office for the Park opening hour. The opening hour was 8:00 AM but now it has been changed.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-25-2016, 05:01 AM.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I can hear your fish finder pinging on the front cam, you must have the transducer somewhere close. I've always wondered how much effect that has on the fish and whether they associate it with danger. I'd like to think larger fish probably do avoid the noise.

Not to get off on a side rant... Great job on the video and intuition on the shad.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

John,
          Sorry for the late reply.
          I think it depends on the types of noises. I think fish don’t care much about constant noises and the noises that didn’t threaten them before.
          When I free dive, I hear so many different noises, such as fish bites, sound generated by fish moving away quickly from me. And also I can hear human voices, boat motor sound, and birds. I am sure fish can feel the sounds better than me. I imagine Occoquan River, Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay are very noisy water for fish. And I think fish are immune to the most of repeating and constant man-made noises.

Joe

Comment

Fun! fishing machine
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
            X