Clear All

• First flathead

http://youtu.be/_sVwQQDMHOI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Don't throw it back, perfect eating size!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Him wuz hongry!

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Don't throw it back, perfect eating size!
        Flatheads?! I really don't know too much about them other than they like live bait, get big, and are pretty vile looking.

I'm from WV and have definitely eaten my share of unorthodox critters. But that is one that I would definitely be hesitant to eat just because of how nasty they look lol.
        Zack
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Flatheads are very tasty. Even the larger ones taste good.
          Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Guys who regularly eat all kinds of catfish say the flathead is the best to eat. But I've never caught one to give it a try.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

This is only the second one I've seen in person. I saw a kid I wrestled with catch one in the Doah, and this one at the tidal Potomac. I know the blue cat signs put up by the MD DNR at the ramps were legit but I always thought the flathead signs were just them over exaggerating. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Zack
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

i spent the last 20 years fishing the lower colorado river for these guys and at least the flats there only eat live bait. they wouldn't tough cut dead bait and i think thats why they taste far better than channels. plus they love current so generally less sediment in the current than on the bottom . channels in rivers tend to have a muddy taste in my opinion. that flat head right there is the perfect size to eat. but yes even the big girls taste decent too. its not gonna replace striper on my plate anytime soon but i do like it.
                Rich
                Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
                  i spent the last 20 years fishing the lower colorado river for these guys and at least the flats there only eat live bait. they wouldn't tough cut dead bait and i think thats why they taste far better than channels. plus they love current so generally less sediment in the current than on the bottom . channels in rivers tend to have a muddy taste in my opinion. that flat head right there is the perfect size to eat. but yes even the big girls taste decent too. its not gonna replace striper on my plate anytime soon but i do like it.
                  Yep, eating only live critters and staying off the bottom is why they taste good. Like they say, you are what you eat.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                  X