Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice pike!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Apparently I am "species stalking" you Tom!

Rocky Gorge today. This 35" Northern Pike ate a 4" tube. Hope this one survives. She has a nasty wound just above her tail. The only thing I can think that might have done this would be a good sized snapping turtle. She fought well and swam away strong but she is missing a chunk of flesh in that area.

Last edited by Turtle135; 04-17-2016, 09:25 PM.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice fish to both of you! I got skunked on Saturday [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go Dave! That is a huge and crazy pike. Is it worthy of the snagged line leaderboard? I know someone caught a giant from Triadelphia a year or two ago.

Comment

What species are we targeting next weekend Tom?

That was an amusing catch. I tied on a tube because I was certain that there were smaller bass in this one particular area (too small to eat the jig I was throwing).
              Dave

Comment

That's a great catch Dave! Some guy on here caught a musky on a senko at Brunswick. Haha

Comment

Nice job guys! Tearing it up out there!
                  Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                  Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                  Northern Pike: 24 inches
                  Crappie: 12 inches
                  Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post

Rocky Gorge today. This 35" Northern Pike ate a 4" tube. Hope this one survives. She has a nasty wound just above her tail. The only thing I can think that might have done this would be a good sized snapping turtle. She fought well and swam away strong but she is missing a chunk of flesh in that area.

Those look like clawmarks on her side... maybe a bald eagle attack survivor?
                    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                    Northern Pike: 24 inches
                    Crappie: 12 inches
                    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post

Dave I'm going to refer to this fish as "zombie pike" for the rest of my life. haha

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                        Dave I'm going to refer to this fish as "zombie pike" for the rest of my life. haha
                        Perfect name for that one! Let's hope she makes it and it just left with a cool scar. Another fisherman I know up in NY thought it was likely that another pike did this.
                        Dave

Comment

I don't want to blow up your spots but I am fishing Rocky Gorge this Monday and would appreciate a bit of advice. It is a large body of water and would like to shrink it down a bit before actually fishing it. Would hate to spend the day paddling around all day.
                          1. Where would you launch from?
                          2. Would you recommend fishing down near the dam or up north?

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

Comment

Hi Guys. I have gotten several requests over the past month about advice for where to fish at Rocky Gorge. I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but I'm no expert. I have had a little success and I enjoy posting photos of what I catch. However, I'm not willing to give away what few secrets I know. I think everyone will agree that the WSSC reservoirs can be tough fishing.

I will offer that I think my little success so far this year is a product of the following:

1. Getting away from the TV and sitting in my kayak and getting out there to actually go fishing. Many of my trips have been in cold/windy/rainy/even snowy conditions. Turtle135 can add that I'm a sissy and paddled back to the car and left him to fish in the snow by himself. haha. Getting out in March and April has been a good thing for me this year. The fish are hungry.

2. When the water is cold, I have fished sunny areas that are shallow.

3. When the water is muddy, I have used lures that give off lots of vibration.

That's about all I can say for now. There are 3 access points to Rocky Gorge, so you have 3 choices to launch from. As far as I know you can catch fish from all 3 launch areas. I think the key is to get out there and fish. There are some monsters there, so you never know what you can catch.

Best wishes to all.
                            Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X