from the MAKBF Tournament on Rocky Gorge yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from the MAKBF Tournament on Rocky Gorge yesterday

The bass are shallow and tight to the shoreline right now. I used the spinnerbait to catch my limit then the jig to add the kicker above.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

I was also there, and while I caught a rather nice bluegill, I didn't even get a hit from a bass. I, for some reason, thought Supplee Lane was the launch point, so I pre-fished there last weekend and did ok on white spinners and weightless plastics, like you said, shallow and tight. I had no luck trying the same at Scott's and in retrospect I should have sped to Supplee and fished the coves I practiced on. I tried to fish across the shallow points in all directions with a spinner and the backs of coves with the plastics, but nothing. This was my first "serious" outing in my Slayer 10 and I now have a much better idea how to manage my rods and gear in the new boat.

It was a nice day just the same and I even managed to race home and get most of the lawn mowed.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Dave you and I were in the same area to start the morning (left side coming out of Scotts, little double cut/creek).

Props to all who caught them...I literally tried everything...shallow/deep..power/finesse...large/downsized. Nothing! The wind in the late morning was not a help either...after lunchtime you were almost at its mercy.

oh well...not the 1st or last time RG will humble me.

Comment

Great report Dave! I was thinking about the wind and wondering how everyone was dealing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
          Dave you and I were in the same area to start the morning (left side coming out of Scotts, little double cut/creek).

Props to all who caught them...I literally tried everything...shallow/deep..power/finesse...large/downsized. Nothing! The wind in the late morning was not a help either...after lunchtime you were almost at its mercy.

oh well...not the 1st or last time RG will humble me.
          Ah cool! That was not where I had planned to fish but when I saw that "armada" heading down lake I thought to myself "I don't want to fish behind that crowd". I pretty much stayed on that quarter mile stretch all day. I got a couple close to the bank on the spinnerbait fairly quickly which helped me settle in. That is a lake where you can cover some ground and then look back and ask yourself "why I am not catching any bass?".
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            Great report Dave! I was thinking about the wind and wondering how everyone was dealing with it.
            I just had two rods with me so I could keep them on the deck of the kayak, nothing vertical that would tangle in the overhanging trees. This allowed me to get in tight to the bank and work at short range.
            Dave

Comment

The wind killed me at the end. I was trying to skip plastics as far up next to the banks as I could and every snagged lure required me to fight the overhanging branches to get close enough to retrieve them. I was in constant fear that my stowed rods were going to get caught and lifted out of their holders or broken

I think my new wind plan is to only take three rods and put the two not in use in scotty holders angled almost horizontal along the sides of the yak.

I also need to be far more focused in packing tackle, even with spending the last hour or so doing the "what the hell, let's try this!" approach to fishing, I still maybe used 10-20 of the lures I had with me.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                I was in constant fear that my stowed rods were going to get caught and lifted out of their holders or broken.
                Yep, I know that feeling. Rocky Gorge is like that in the spring, you need to go back into the flooded stuff to get to the bass. Once they drop the water level (and the place looks like a desert) you can carry everything you own.
                Dave

Comment

The current view on google maps is when the water is very low, it looks like 10' down on some of the points. It was very very helpful to use for prep and scouting, except for that bit where I though we were launching at Supplee I still wish I just headed straight that way to fish.

In any case, the bass bug has bit me hard so I am sure to be back.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

What was the winning numbers for the tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Widgeon View Post
                      What was the winning numbers for the tournament?
                      52.25"

https://www.kayakfishingseries.com/t...nt.php?id=4510
                      Dave

Comment

Some of you kayakers may find this amusing, I did. A young man I know launched his Basscat in a cove (don't know which one) at Rocky Gorge this spring and forgot to tether it to his trailer. It was cold and miserable and not a soul around so he stripped to his skivvies and waded out to the middle to retrieve the boat. He had to clean the mud off of his feet so he used the skivvies. Later the DNR checked him and the guy was looking at the dirty skivvies in the bottom of the boat. Needless to say he was very embarrassed to tell the story.

Comment

Thanks for coming out to the MAKBF guys. My camera died early on, so I didn't get any footage. I feel pretty accomplished to have placed 4th! Just couldn't cull that 13" ! The gorge can be a real beast and some of the Delaware guys are learning that the different bodies of water make our circuit one heck of a challenge.... After my first plan didn't work I kicked it into high gear and performed my native run and gun....which is just covering water like a mad man man!

I made a video from my prefishing though.
                          https://youtu.be/c0amKinwXKo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                          Tarpon 120
                          Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                          25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                          Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Working...
                          X