Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever tried to use BIG tadpoles for bait??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever tried to use BIG tadpoles for bait??

I mean, these things are: 1.5 inches across and 3 inches long. I have a foreclosure that I'm fixing up and my swamp (that used to be a swimming pool) is full of these aquatic frog or toad like things. I was thinking of trying some of the tad poles out at Triadelphia lake.

Do you guys think it might work???

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 05-20-2016, 10:00 PM.
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

I am sure they would be great bait. Something in the back of my head tells me they are regulated or something. It is Maryland. You need a permit or permission to do most anything. I don't know if this helps or not...http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pa...s/captive.aspx
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Yeah if stopped with them, you'll probably get fined or something. MD DNR is on a huge invasive species kick, they are very wary of what gets put in our waterways.

Like you cant even use live Crawfish...because chances are they are not the same species as found in MD waters.

Comment

I have access to a small farm pond that is teeming with huge tadpoles. Biggest I have ever seen in huge dense......schools?

Sadly I suspect that this means there are no bass in there to eat them. But I have thought about netting a few and trying to liveline them under a bobber just incase there one in there who wants an easy meal.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Great advice guys. I never even thought of DNR and evasive species... You just saved me a great big ticket. Thanks again!
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pa...rp-Ethics.aspx

Legal Issues

There are some legal issues which must be considered. In 1993, regulations were passed in Maryland called “Reptile and Amphibian Possession and Permits” (COMAR 08.03.11). These clearly defined what species could be collected from the wild, set possession limits for those species that could be collected with a permit, stated which species may be collected without a permit, and other allowed activities, such as captive breeding, which requires a permit. These regulations are also important for what they state cannot be done, such as commercial trade in “wild” caught animals. They also identify illegal methods of taking an animal from the wild. For instance, did you know it is illegal to kill a snake? Other Maryland laws and regulations that you should be aware of include:
            •a prohibition on importation of venomous snakes, alligators, and crocodiles as pets (Article 10-621);
            •seasons and size limits for the harvest of diamond-backed terrapins, and complete protection of their nests (COMAR 08.02.01);
            •prohibited methods of take for snapping turtles (COMAR 08.02.01);
            •limitations on the sale of turtles (COMAR 10.06.02);
            •and designation and protection of state endangered species (Article 10-2A-01 and COMAR 08.03.01).

Scientists use a myriad of surveying techniques for reptiles and amphibians. The simplest may be using a dip-net to collect frogs from ponds. Something more complicated may involve building a long drift fence with various funnel, pit-fall and other traps attached to capture most species occurring in an area. However, even scientists are required to obtain a scientific collecting permit from the state in order to use these techniques. Simple observation, or what we call random visual surveys, are often a great way to learn the herpetofauna of an area and witness interesting behaviors. So whatever your interests are, be safe, be ethical, and be legal. Happy herpin’!
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
            X