New to this completely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this completely

Hi all, I stumbled across this forum and figured id ask ya'll. I just moved here from Seattle not to long ago and decided to finally start fishing like ive been wanting to. got my fresh water license and all. But alas, I have no boat or anything and I cant seem to find any good reccomendations on places to catch big enough fish that aren't going to be catch and release. So any reccomenations would be great! with that recommendation whatever bait works well in that area too would be great Thanks all I appreciate it.

Welcome to MD.

There re lots of freshwater sites in the state:

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...c-lakes-ponds/

And don't forget the Potomac River.

I'm sure a few big ones swim in these locations and will respond to the common lures and baits used in Seattle...And you can catch and release the big ones here too.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

So you're looking for fish big enough to keep? DC lifted its catfish advisory. You want some big fish that you can keep head out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Your fresh water license limits you to lakes and headwaters fishing for bass and pan fish. There are many lakes that offer shore fishing, but you'll be sharing those places with many friends. If you get the Bay Sport saltwater license you can fish the bay and all of the rivers in MD and VA up to the tide line. One good place is Mattingly Park on Mattawoman Creek near Indianhead, MD. There you can rent a Hobie kayak and get away from the competition. You could catch LM Bass, Catfish and also have a good chance at landing a Snakehead.
        If you let us know where you are located someone can chime in with possibilities near you. Welcome to the area and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
          Your fresh water license limits you to lakes and headwaters fishing for bass and pan fish. There are many lakes that offer shore fishing, but you'll be sharing those places with many friends. If you get the Bay Sport saltwater license you can fish the bay and all of the rivers in MD and VA up to the tide line. One good place is Mattingly Park on Mattawoman Creek near Indianhead, MD. There you can rent a Hobie kayak and get away from the competition. You could catch LM Bass, Catfish and also have a good chance at landing a Snakehead.
          If you let us know where you are located someone can chime in with possibilities near you. Welcome to the area and good luck.
          I like the sound of mattingly park. I am located in glen Burnie. So far ive done Waterford and Patapsco State Park. nothing worthy of mention as far as catches though. very small sunfish/perchs and 1 striped bass. Sounds like I need to get saltwater license.

Comment

Welcome to Maryland. What kind of fish are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Intrakit View Post
              I like the sound of mattingly park. I am located in glen Burnie. So far ive done Waterford and Patapsco State Park. nothing worthy of mention as far as catches though. very small sunfish/perchs and 1 striped bass. Sounds like I need to get saltwater license.
              Do indeed got a tidal license. Then drive south on Rt. 2 from Glen Burnie and in 30 minutes or less you'll be at Jonas Green Park on the Severn.

http://www.aacounty.org/locations-an...nas-green-park

Shore and pier fishing opportunities are present there and kayak rentals are available on weekends. Keeper sized stripers are possible and based on reports here, white perch have arrived.

Here are other opportunities near Glen Burnie:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/guideb...821-story.html
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X