Overnighter on Sleepy Creek Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnighter on Sleepy Creek Lake

Yesterday I set out for sleepy creek lake in Berkley County WV. It's a little past Martinsburg for those familiar with the area. This trip was especially exciting for me as it was my first time paddling my Ultra 4.7. The ultra is no doubt too big for my stretch of rivers, but is perfect for open water.

As I was launching I ran into the DNR and talked it up with them for awhile. They gave me a few pointers and informed me that they do in fact have breeding northern pike in the lake...and of course I didn't have any of my musky gear.

The first day not much really happened fishing wise. I threw around some plastic worms but didn't really get much other than some dinks. I was just having fun paddling my new boat, and was also a bit concerned about finding a spot to pitch my tent as the banks were very steep.

I finally found a marsh that wasn't too wet and I was able to put up my tent. I went back out for a bit to try and cross crappie off the species list, which I did!

Sleepy creek was flooded way back when, and a lot of the standing timber is still there. Lots of tree trunks that are just sub surfaced enough to where you don't see em until you're practically on em. I didn't want to paddle in the dark so I paddle back to my campsite and called it a night. As I was watching it get dark I got to see my neighbor swimming across the lake to his site

I went to bed around 9, and at 10:45 woke up to something close to my tent stomping and huffing at me. At first I figured it was a deer, but then I had the "what if it's a bear" thought. I purposely peed all around my campsite to ward off curious critters, and sprayed a lot of insect repellant to fight off some ants. I got a little worried at this point as this thing was still stomping and huffing on top of the ridge. I recorded the sounds on my phone

He finally left, so I checked the video to see if my phone picked up the huffing....well it did, and I wasn't the only one who heard it. As soon as my phone played the recorded huffing noise, the (unknown at this point) animal came barreling down the hill huffing and stomping faster and much much closer to my tent.

At this point he's about 15-20' from my tent. I grab my knife unzip my tent and start beating on my tent loudly. I guess that was enough for him as he bolted back up the hill. After that I really didn't get much of a nights sleep with my head on a swivel.

Slept in til 0800. Had a cup of joe over an open fire ( my favorite part of camping ), packed up, and headed towards the launch.

Caught a couple more dink bass and jumbo bluegill on the way there as well. Was happy to see my truck in the parking lot with the windows still in tact and the wheels still on there (sleepy creek is way off the beaten path and attracts all sorts be careful).

All in all it was a good way to break in the ultra. It's a big change from my fs12t but I love it already. If any of the guys on here ever want to head up that way and want a fitchin buddy let me
    know! I'll share some secrets passed onto me by the DNR! ;-)

Oh and through some time on the internet my brother and I were able to determine that was most likely a buck upset that I was crashing in his little marsh. The more you know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Looks like fun,, We do a ton of overnighters in our kayaks in WV,, all rivers though, not lakes.
    Years ago, after my 1st trip (in a tent), I bought a Hennesy hammock, I have NEVER slept on the ground since, I now have 6 hammocks.
    The "river trips" have become such a large part of out life, we now make custom gear

DSCN7023.jpg

Did you investigate in the AM, and try to find any tracks from the nighttime visitor ?

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
      Looks like fun,, We do a ton of overnighters in our kayaks in WV,, all rivers though, not lakes.
      Years ago, after my 1st trip (in a tent), I bought a Hennesy hammock, I have NEVER slept on the ground since, I now have 6 hammocks.
      The "river trips" have become such a large part of out life, we now make custom gear

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19087[/ATTACH]

Did you investigate in the AM, and try to find any tracks from the nighttime visitor ?

Slack
      Yes I'm definitely investing in a hammock soon. Much easier to transport and more comfortable on rocky areas.

I'm pretty positive it was a big buck. There were a few deer trails by my site and I saw some tracks the 1st day while I was setting up. It just alarmed me that he would come running in like that after smelling the bug spray and markings I made lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Nothing like a sound in the woods when you're all alone at night, lol.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

What? You think the deer don't know it's not hunting season ??
          https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php more then you ever wanted to know.
          Captian of the plastic Navy
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

there will be a guy I know hittin that lake Saturday morning around 7am I believe in his yak also .. lake looks great!
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I had never heard of that lake before, thanks for the report!

I do a bit of hammock camping myself and would jump at the chance to add some fishing to the mix if you ever plan another trip.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
              X