Point of Rocks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point of Rocks question

Current gauge is at 3.95ft, and looks to be falling now. Is this too high to get some fish in the boat safely?

I have off work tomorrow and was planning to go here for the first time.

Was planning to put in and take out at the same place, no float trip.

Haven't hit the UP at all yet this year...

The river will be what they call "pushy" at that level, what are you paddling?

I might suggest you move to the next launch up at Lander as there are a couple of grass islands, an incoming creek and some ledges that should offer some better fishing as well as providing some current breaks for you.
    Last edited by Turtle135; 06-27-2016, 09:10 PM.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
      The river will be what they call "pushy" at that level, what are you paddling?

I might suggest you move to the next launch up at Lander as there are a couple of grass islands, an incoming creek and some ledges that should offer some better fishing as well as providing some current breaks for you.
      I'll be shovin around in a nicely worn in fs10. I will take your advice and go to Lander instead. If i get there and the water level looks unmanageable I will probably head south to ole edwards ferry where I'm a little more familiar.

Comment

As Dave says the water is a little pushy a great way to explain it. Kayaks are light and float pretty fast so it can be done but not as much fun and simply.
        You can use a drag chain to slow you down .
        .Other problem is that there are ledges that you can see ripples to fish when water is less than2.5 feet .They are hard to find as easily at the higher levals . Good luck .
        I am still thinking about Saturday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
        Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
        Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

That is what I do, if the river is raging it widens out enough at Edwards Ferry to make it more manageable.

There are more classic river features at Lander than most stops on the Upper Potomac. It gets busy on the weekend but you should have it largely to yourself on a Tuesday.

Here is a good read on Lander: http://www.penrodsguides.com/upper_potomac_river.htm

Good luck! Catch some footballs!
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thank you gents. I'm gonna give it a go and see if I can't catch something worth taking a picture of.

Comment

Let me know how you do. I would not go at 3.95 ft. The current will not look too bad at Edwards but you will be moving about 2mph...makes fishing tough...But more so, the fishing will not be great due to the low visibility (at least in my opinion)- it will be prettry churned up with the massive flooding in W. VA-- Best to hit the Monocacy that might be easier.... or hit a reservoir. River conditions change daily so be careful and good luck. Maybe paddle up Goose creek and look for some largemouth at the confluence or small smallies up creek-

Comment

Working...
              X