Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maryland Kayak Fishing (Not a Float Trip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Kayak Fishing (Not a Float Trip)

I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, but I haven't had time to trawl through the boards.

Could you point me to some places where I can drop my kayak and fish comfortably without having to take multiple cars to be picked up?

I'm talking about places that I can just drop my kayak in, fish around for a bit, then ride it back to where I dropped it. I don't want to have to pay or be locked to 3 bodies of water (The whole loch raven debacle).

I am primarily targeting any sort of Bass (LMB or Smallies), crappie, pickerel, perch, etc. Not looking for giant rockfish.

I am located in Montgomery County but would be willing to drive up to a little over an hour.

Places that I've been able to drop:
    All lakes in columbia (Elkhorn, Wilde, Centennial)
    Montgomery County Lakes (Seneca Lake, Clopper Lake, Lake Frank, Needwood)

Places that I have been wading in:
    Patuxent River near crofton
    Little Seneca Creek
    Monocacy river near Buckeystown

I am looking to try new places this year and would really like to increase my smallmoth production! I will also consider safer wading locations!

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Kayak: Vibe Yellowfin 10' with garmin striker pro 4 complete with anchor trolley.

Check out this link:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...c-lakes-ponds/

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Rocky gorge out of scotts cove, Susquehanna out of lapidum, piney run, Potomac out of mattawoman. Just a few of my favorites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of the Potomac north of Great Falls can be fished from a single location. Most will paddle upstream first and then work their way back to the launch. I haven't launched in any spots where the current has prevented me from paddling back upstream. Its plenty wide at least up to Hancock (I personally have only fished north to Williamsport) to work your way back downstream in a zig zag pattern. Before launching, check the launch out on google earth or something similar as there are few dams near launches that may dictate where you can fish. You may want to check out stream flow rates from the usgs as well to make sure its not too low/high.

I'm a fellow MoCo resident as well. I can get a non-resident permit from Queen Anne's county for $35 a year to launch anywhere and MoCo wants to charge you $75 for the privilege of launching at one of their 2 reservoirs (3 if you include the Needwood pond). Unfortunately, the Potomac is our only local option. Everywhere else is at least an hour away.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Mattawoman Creek in Indian Head, MD is a fun place to fish. Tidal marsh environment is pretty neat.

If you want smallmouth, then the Upper Potomac River is your friend. Tons of launch points in Montgomery County, Frederick County not far for you....and free.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone!

I will definitely take a trip up to Lapidum and down to Mattawoman, possibly up to Point of Rocks.

Here's lookin' for that one week of weather that wakes the fish up!

Comment

One of my favorite wading kayak spots on the upper potomac is off canal rd across from shepardstown current is such that its an easy paddle upstream and has multiple areas where you can wade across the river
              D Hawk
              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I'll add Mattawoman from Slavins (launched there yesterday 1330pm) beautifuly day.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

jmp5189,

I'm not sure but I think the Potomac at Brunswick might meet your distance criteria.

Now, I do not float there. I wade. Also, I reserve it for summer and fall when the water level and flow rate drop.

SM bass and sunfish are plentiful and willing to bite surface flies and lures.

You mentioned keeping your drive to around an hour. I understand that we each have our limits, but if you can expand that, many more excellent opportunities exist. I don't mind making a full day of fishing if the destination merits it. As you can see in recent posts here, Eastern Shore ponds provide excellent fishing early in the year. And there are many of them. Of course, I have the time, being retired, to travel a little farther to fish. However, I used to do the same on weekends when I worked. I like the anticipation during the drive to the location and the relaxation of the drive home, especially now with satellite radio to entertain me which I didn't have when I worked.

Good luck when you get out.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

I would be more than willing to make a day trip over an hour, was really just thinking about it in terms of finding time after work, or in between activities!

Comment

Mchottie,

Catch anything? Been debating going there as soon as weather permitting.

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                        I'll add Mattawoman from Slavins (launched there yesterday 1330pm) beautifuly day.

Did you catch anything?

Comment

lost 2 blue cats yakside (my fault, not the fishes) but landed a (personal first of this species for me) REALLY good sized crappie...

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                          X