The rare snow bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rare snow bass

I was bored, the sun is out and I think it was above 40 degrees so I decided to walk around my community lake and cast a few. Had no expectations of catching anything with the cold front yesterday and drop in water temp. Was very surprised to get 2 on a tube bait. Spawning is in the air if they’re biting today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Man you can add ice fishing to your check list LOL Who knew about the elusive snow Bass???

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Community Ponds are great ways to maintain sanity when a severe case of cabin fever strikes...congrats on catching a March fish...nasty weather month...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice catches Mike.

I like the term, snow bass.

Let's hope yesterday was winter's last gasp.

I have no community pond, so I'm heading across the bridge next Tuesday for Smithville. Looking forward to a few post-snow bass, picks, bluegills or crappies.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I bet that fish was so cold, that touch of a human hand releasing it felt good. Certainly warmer than the water!

Comment

I also got a snow bass Friday though there is no snow in the picture. I fished loch raven with my gulp her I shad I got on clearance. I thought I might get a pike or pickerel but got this strange looking large mouth20180323_170737.jpg

Comment

Nice bass and that is a strange molted pattern. Warming trend later this week should really turn them on.
              Mike

Comment

Warming trend? Not your average first week of April temps forecast on the weather channel...more of the same March weather-gusty, breezy...cold nights below freezing with mid 40’s low 50’s daytime temps...until the surface water temps in the Bay get above 45 degrees, I think fishing will be less than exciting...hopefully we will see the end of winter weather soon...

Comment

The freshwater lakes and ponds temperatures move “quicker” than the bay and a few days in the 50’s can have a wonderful affect on the fish. Heating up the bay will take a lot longer.
                  Mike

Comment

Absolutely...and the shallows and flats in the Bay and rivers heats up much faster than the deeper channels...I usually try my luck in the Bay to see what is going on before now...but daily small craft advisories dampen my enthusium to do 35 mile, one-way drives to my usual spots...looking at the long-range weather forecast (usually wrong) past the 8th of April, gives me some hope...we could always load up our kayaks and head down south for some Rudee/Lynnhaven Inlet action, but it is a long (4 hour) drive one-way for me...figure if I am going to take a road trip of 4 plus hours, might as well head down 95 to SC beaches and inlets...

Comment

mike o,

I know largemouth can change appearance depending on their surroundings due to light receptors in their eyes. But usually that change results in a dark or light coloring of the entire fish. Your catch looks somewhat confused!

Thanks for sharing.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have seen many early season, cold water bass with brighter patterns and some splotching.
                        I caught the same fish several times last year with very distinctive markings, as the season went on the contrast between dark and light spots decreased.

Comment

The first rule of snow bass is you don't talk about snow bass...
                          Attached Files

Comment

That made me laugh. Good start to the day
                            Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X