Whopper Plopper 90 Switch To Single Hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whopper Plopper 90 Switch To Single Hooks

I am switching my Whopper Plopper 90's to single hooks. Since all of the bass I have caught on the plopper have been hooked by the front hook, I'm going to test it out with just a single front hook and see how it goes. The back hook seemed to always end up near the fish's eye or in their gills.
    Last edited by DanMarino; 04-10-2018, 09:13 AM.

I have had the single replacement hooks on mine for more than a year- like you I have had most fish hit the front hook- I also have mashed the barbs down so I can easily release fish...I have not lost a fish due to the single hook or the barbless of the hooks...but I do have both the front and the rear single hooks- although most fish are caught with the front hook- there are still lots of fish that only have been caught on the rear hook...and all my hard baits have been switched out of the treble hooks- all...especially the ultra-light crankbaits and poppers
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-10-2018, 09:35 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Looks good, Tom.

Nice move with the inline hooks.

I've never fished a Whopper Plopper. Perhaps that propeller in the rear deters fish from hitting the rear hook.

For traditional poppers I put the inline hook on the back and remove the middle hook completely.

I haven't noticed a lower hookup rate.

One good thing about having the hook on the back is that I can use the popper body as a handle to subdue the fish when I get it to the boat.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Everything you guys say makes sense. I’ll mash the barbs down before fishing them.

Comment

historically for me SH hit the rear treble, so i've contemplated deleting both hooks and only replacing the rear with the in-line single VMC - With the SH strength and constant thrashing ability I think this will help once landed on the yak. Even using a plastic-coated net, the treble hooks seems to grab onto anything and everything, and i've put more than my fair share thru a finger or thumb.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Ron is not the only angler to rely on the front hook. I've read that others who change their lure hooks do it that way too.

I maintain the back hook to create a handle with the popper to control the fish boat side, as I mentioned before. Also, I place the hook on the rear to follow my experience with fly rod poppers which always have the hook in the rear.

The question then becomes do you place the inline hook on the rear of the popper with the gap down or up? I've done it both ways and found out it doesn't matter. Top water bites are usually so aggressive, the fish will find the hook either way. Typically, I place it with the gap down.

Also, I like to dress the rear hook with bucktail or marabou. It's not necessary to dress it, especially when the fish are in a feeding frenzy. But when you are blind casting, a particular fish may be looking for a larger profile/target. The dressing may provide that.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I forgot to add that I will report back with some comparison results of the 1 hook vs 2 hooks. The goal is to have fun catching fish, so I'll make changes if the catch rate is poor and I'm missing hook ups.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                ...if the catch rate is poor...
                It won't be.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

100% agree with the rear dressing...

i'll be trying 'hook up' and will also report. dont hold breathe, as I dont actively SH will end of May

Comment

Not my video, but look how the smallies are hooked on the Whopper Plopper.

Comment

Just saw these while browsing Cabelas - Seems like the preferred method is one barb up, one barb down?

Comment

You definitely want the middle hook with the point down (or stated another way, the gap open toward the head of the lure). Otherwise, the hook point will compress to the body as the lure is pulled through the water or when a fish hits it. That would impede hookups.

On surface lures I prefer one hook on the back and I like hook pointed down. But either way will work for the back.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I have no experience with these as I switched away from conventional tackle around the same time these started becoming popular. I have read that they are responsible for many a blinded fish, so I commend your effort to mitigate the negatives of the lure. Great stuff.
                          2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

Caught 2 small bass today on a single hook Whopper Plopper 90. Just the front hook.

Comment

All my hard body lures are single in-line replacement Owner hooks...no problems what so ever...thanks to fishing with Big Mike, I started using a mini-crankbait for white perch...changed out the front hook to a number 4 Owner and removed rear treble...it caught fish, but missed some so I added the rear single hook...much better, even though 75% are still caught on the front hook...
                              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM.
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X