St Mary's Lake, 5-24-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary's Lake, 5-24-18

I hit St Mary's Lake today. My expectations were modest due to the bass spawn being in full swing, but I much better than expected.

I launched around 1030am, I didn't make it up early enough to leave before rush hour, so I waited until after to head out. My plan for the day was to hit flooded banks to see if non-spawning bass and pickerel were shallow feeding. I headed right across from the launch and worked the coves between the the two fingers for a few hours to little effect. I caught a few very small pickerel on a fluke and had a bunch more hit it, but I could hook them up. The tiny ones t-bone a fluke and miss the hook I think.

In addition to the fluke, I fish a jig w/swimbait trailer, a t-rigged worm, a Senko, a neko-rigged Trickworm, and a Ned rig. Other then a single bass taking a grab at the fluke, I caught nothing other then the tiny picks. I decided to abandon the plan and head to my comfort zone, the rip-rap. On the way I caught a few more small picks casting the Ned to the bank as I drifted past, but no bass.

Once I made it to the riprap, the day turned around.

I started catching small bass right away about 5-10' off the bank by casting parallel to it and hopping the worms along the bottom. They either hit it on the fall or after a hop or three, so I gave up on working it back to the boat. I ended up with about 6 bass, evenly split among the junebug and motoroil worms. I started getting a lot of sharp hits on the worm that I could not connect with and assuming they were more tiny picks, I switched up to the Ned and to my surprise it turned out I had found a school of crappie.

I had only caught a handful of crappie before and never ones this big. I managed about 5 of them before they stopped biting. I decided to give the jig a go and see if I could find a larger bass and it worked;

It hit the jig as I was swimming it pretty quickly so I don't think it was on a bed, I had a few more on but didn't manage to land them.

I have not fished St Marys in my yak very often but I plan to give it more time in the future. It's a bit of a drive but I think it will be a good windy day spot as the steep banks seem to really block the wind. The lake is just full of pickerel, I did not manage any big enough to take a picture of, but the bigger ones are in there too.

Some random notes;
    • A fixed anchor cleat is beyond annoying, I need to install a trolley this week. I am going to turtle or ruin my back fishing twisted around all day.
    • I need to rig up a keeper for my paddle. the taco holder isn't tight enough and my paddle popped out a few times
    • I need to get a PFD with a flat back asap, my current one hits my seat and kills my back if I don't make a conscious effort to sit upright.
    • I have been making an effort to ignore 90% of my bass tackle and work on the classics, a jig and a t-rig floating worm. Very pleasing to see them working so well.
    • I am ready to admit that I want a 5th rod holder. I can make 4 work but I want a 5th spot so I can keep a Senko/fluke on deck at all times. The Ned takes up a slot as well so that will give me 3 spots to work with depending on where I fishing on a given day, but I am always going to want a Ned and a snagless weightless plastic no matter where I am.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Drew,

Excellent report, insights and results.

I have not been to SML for years. I need to pay a visit there.

Thank you,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I dig it Drew. I thought you specialized in "Drop Shot" soft plastics dragged over soft, mucky bottoms and throwing tiny Rapala minnows? haha.

Sounds like a very fun day of fishing to me.

Comment

Great report and looked like a beautiful day on the water. Fishing the classics is always fun. Sometimes we get so caught up in the latest and greatest that we forget what got us here in the first place.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Drew,
          I have not been to SML for years. I need to pay a visit there.
          I was surprised how well I did, given my history of poor results there and being in the middle of the spawn. I am going to add it to the rotation more frequently. It is a bit of a drive, but with a ~800pm sunset, it makes heading down in the afternoon for a long evening session more appealing.

If anyone gets the urge to head down there let me know, I almost always fish alone and enjoy company when I can get it.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          I dig it Drew. I thought you specialized in "Drop Shot" soft plastics dragged over soft, mucky bottoms and throwing tiny Rapala minnows? haha.

Sounds like a very fun day of fishing to me.

Hah, well, I went to RG on Friday and fished a DS and Ned rig all day to no result, so it pays to be flexible.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
          X