Looking for some recon on Piney Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some recon on Piney Run

Hey guys - I'm headed to Piney Run on Sunday and it's the first time I've been out there. Has anyone fished it recently? I'm just fishin' (pun intended) for any recon I can get before I get on the water.
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

Been a few years for me. It's a nice place to fish. I don't like the park hours though or the price of admission. I always caught bass there. Pretty much anything in my tackle box worked for me there. I still remember a very big bass that came unbuttoned before I landed it. I would say to fish using whatever methods you are most comfortable with. You should not have any difficulty finding some cooperative bass.

Comment

I haven't fished there in years. I've seen some huge Stripers come out of there as well. I tried a few times with no success. They also stock it with rainbow trout, so you could try throwing some inline spinners or spoons. I'm not sure if they are still around this time of the year, but you could catch anything on those baits.
      Tommy
      2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
      Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
      https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

Most of the area on the outside of the lake is COVERED in lily pads. I’m not one to get up super early but I’m sure there are some under there you could throw a frog at. Other then that there are a decent amount of points and it drops of rather fast along most of the lake. One second your in 6’ of water the next 15’. Is work the bank opposite of the loading ramp and work my way towards the rock damn to the right. That’s where I’ve had most of my success. But like Dan said with the high cost of the launch even as a carrol county resident I don’t go as often as I’d like. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Tan-Tarpon 140
        Lime-Pelican Matrix
        Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

I appreciate the tips - I tried a little bit of everything without success.

My fish finder showed ~86 degrees and while I marked fish all day and saw a ton of bluegills/bream/sunnies(pick your term) and even some small crappie. I also saw a ton of baby bass in the ~3" range. I got one decent bite first thing in the morning right across from boat ramps hitting the pads with a weightless texas rig. Thankfully I didn't see anyone else catching fish either...

Given the cost to get in and launch a kayak I doubt I'll be back soon... I don't think Piney Run is worth $18 to fish in the heat of the summer...
          - Justin
          2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
          2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
          X