Small Flow Smallies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Flow Smallies

Fished a small flow last Saturday morning. I'm consistently catching some little smallmouth bass in this section of the river. It is becoming a fun spot to go for some smallie action close to home when I don't have time for a long drive someplace.

Here are some photos of the flow and typical fish.

Years ago, I used to wade the Patapsco above Old Ellicott City for smallies. They were all about the size you show here and very fun to catch.
    ---------------------------------
    Mike Hossom
    Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Those on the fly? Topwater or streamers? One of my favorite things to do with the flyrod on smallie streams is throw a small chartreuse bugger, or a baby clouser - you can see them come take it from a mile away!

I could catch smallies that size all day - relaxing and therapeutic while on the water.

Thanks for the report,

Steve
      Bel Air, MD
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks guys. Historically I struggle to locate smallies on this flow. I did some research and scouting around and found this stretch has some. So I'm happy about that. Typically I catch a ton of fallfish.

This is only my 2nd trip there this year. One trip was with the fly rod and the other with a spinning rod. This particular trip was with the spinning rod and I was hoping I might attract some of the larger smallies. I spooked a few, but it looks like the typical size is around 8-10 inches.

For the rest of the summer, I'll probably focus on the fly rod there. I've used a rabbit zonker streamer that worked fine. Hopefully I can entice some topwater strikes.

I'll definitely report back.

Comment

For a change of pace, I headed to the Patapsco, above Daniels Dam today. I paddled up about 2 miles above the dam.
          The water was fairly clear, 3+ feet of visibility, with a greenish tint. It's about 6-8 inches higher than the normal flow for this time of the year, but still lower than the Potomac is right now, relative. The water was pretty cold, making me wonder if there is still water coming down from Liberty Reservoir thru the North Branch.
          The weeds that are usually matted heavily by now were largely absent, probably a result of last month's flooding, although 2 years ago after the flood, the weeds were back within a couple of weeks.

The fishing, at noon, was mediocre, maybe 5 yellow breasted sunfish, a couple of red eyed rock bass, but no smallies ( I saw a few, but no hits). I was using a 2 1/2" broken back Rebel lure most of the time.

The park in this area was busy, with parking at a premium, this area unfortunately has become more popular, and the parking has become more limited.
          But it is about the only area of the upper Patapsco left that has deep enough water to float a craft, and that dam will eventually be removed.
          Last edited by bignose; 07-13-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

^Bignose. On Tuesday evening water was still spilling over the dam at Liberty and down the Patapsco. Not as much as 2 weeks before though.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              For a change of pace, I headed to the Patapsco, above Daniels Dam today. I paddled up about 2 miles above the dam.
              The water was fairly clear, 3+ feet of visibility, with a greenish tint. It's about 6-8 inches higher than the normal flow for this time of the year, but still lower than the Potomac is right now, relative. The water was pretty cold, making me wonder if there is still water coming down from Liberty Reservoir thru the North Branch.
              The weeds that are usually matted heavily by now were largely absent, probably a result of last month's flooding, although 2 years ago after the flood, the weeds were back within a couple of weeks.

The fishing, at noon, was mediocre, maybe 5 yellow breasted sunfish, a couple of red eyed rock bass, but no smallies ( I saw a few, but no hits). I was using a 2 1/2" broken back Rebel lure most of the time.

The park in this area was busy, with parking at a premium, this area unfortunately has become more popular, and the parking has become more limited.
              But it is about the only area of the upper Patapsco left that has deep enough water to float a craft, and that dam will eventually be removed.
              Good report, I was just thinking of hitting that spot next week, but I like to hike up past the pool and wade up to the RR bridge. I have only been once so far this year and had very little luck. It was a very consistent spot for numbers for me last year and I hope it comes back. I agree about the crowds, I never go there on weekends unless I am willing to be there and parked by 6-7am.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I don't know what they "eat" where you're at. At home (Greenbrier County, WV) we use two baits in the summer. Mepps #2 spinners (nickel blade when the sun is bright/shiny and brass/gold blade when it's cloudy) with the gray squirrel hair seeming to do better than the fox squirrel hair. Morning and evening or a really cloudy day a bullfrog colored Tiny Torpedo. Some other colors of Tiny Torpedoes work at time in some water, but the bullfrog color works every where.

Sometimes they like the Mepps reeled slow and under the surface, sometimes they want it reeled fast and occasionally breaking the surface. The Tiny Torpedo is reeled at a steady speed (maybe fast, maybe slow, depending on what the fish are hitting) after a tiny jerk to get the blade started after it hits the water.

I take other lures, but I catch more fish on the Mepps and Torpedo.

Comment

Working...
                X