November Freshwater question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November Freshwater question

I've heard the Stripers have moved South in the Bay and are getting scarce. How is the freshwater fishing doing now? Particularly interested in Bass and SnakeHead. I am still new to MD and learning the fishing patterns here. Thx
    2019 Hobie PA 12
    2018 Hobie Outback Dune
    2018 Lifetime Triton Angler 100

From what I've been reading and seeing, the bass bite is solid right now, with moving baits seeming to be popular. Snakeheads are still being caught in numbers, but deeper and with slow retrieves (swimbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits) being the go to.Take this all with a grain of salt, of course, but that's my two cents.
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

I think some could argue that stripers have been scarce in the Mid-Bay area all season. So perhaps there haven't been as many to move south anyway.

Being on Kent Island you're certainly closer to them than I have been here on the western shore. The majority of stripers I've caught this year have been on your side of the bridge.

Also, what we've seemed to miss this fall are stripers concentrations in the creeks looking to fatten up for the winter. This year has simply not been as productive for that kind of fishing as past years. At least that has been the case for me.

Regarding freshwater, I would suggest your location is also a good one for Eastern Shore ponds. There are several to choose from in MD and many in DE. To be honest, I think those in DE hold more and larger fish. At this time of year you can certainly do well catching large pickerel and crappie. Bass will bite too but pickerel are likely to be more active and willing.

You might want to check out Joe Bruce's blog.

https://joebruceflyfishing.wordpress.com/

Don't let the title of his blog fool you. He fishes conventional tackle too and he fishes from a kayak. Eastern Shore ponds are a favorite destination of his.

Regarding snakeheads, I've never thought of them as a cool water fish but I may have to change my view. See this article from May of this year:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...fcad450e7.html

Evidently snakeheads are more tolerant of cooler water than many anglers first thought.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        I think some could argue that stripers have been scarce in the Mid-Bay area all season. So perhaps there haven't been as many to move south anyway.

Being on Kent Island you're certainly closer to them than I have been here on the western shore. The majority of stripers I've caught this year have been on your side of the bridge.

Also, what we've seemed to miss this fall are stripers concentrations in the creeks looking to fatten up for the winter. This year has simply not been as productive for that kind of fishing as past years. At least that has been the case for me.

Regarding freshwater, I would suggest your location is also a good one for Eastern Shore ponds. There are several to choose from in MD and many in DE. To be honest, I think those in DE hold more and larger fish. At this time of year you can certainly do well catching large pickerel and crappie. Bass will bite too but pickerel are likely to be more active and willing.

You might want to check out Joe Bruce's blog.

https://joebruceflyfishing.wordpress.com/

Don't let the title of his blog fool you. He fishes conventional tackle too and he fishes from a kayak. Eastern Shore ponds are a favorite destination of his.

Regarding snakeheads, I've never thought of them as a cool water fish but I may have to change my view. See this article from May of this year:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...fcad450e7.html

Evidently snakeheads are more tolerant of cooler water than many anglers first thought.
        Good stuff. Thx for the links.
        2019 Hobie PA 12
        2018 Hobie Outback Dune
        2018 Lifetime Triton Angler 100

Comment

Working...
        X