Eastern Shore Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore Pond

My friend Mark Bange and I fished an Eastern Shore Pond today and had good results. I was able to land some nice Pickerel on both a fly and spinning rod. This is my third time with a fly rod. I used a Joe Bruce “Bend Back fly” and a white paddletail for spinning.

2019-03-20 09.35.32.jpg, 2019-03-20 10.01.38.jpg

Mark was throwing his newly made articulated fly and had great results.
    2019-03-20 12.39.42.jpg

FYI, the DNR police checked out licenses as we were about to leave, first time since 2015!
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

MV5BOWFmZTI5NjktNDk3Ni00MzJhLTgzNWQtNTg0M2UyMjE4MDYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgxOTIzNzk@._V1_UY1200_CR47.jpg

You two shady characters don't look like you qualify for your senior licenses.

Comment

Thanks Stu, some days I am sure I qualify!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]24764[/ATTACH]

You two shady characters don't look like you qualify for your senior licenses.
        Ha ha Stu.

I think I scared her. She asked me how fishing was but she didn't ask to see my license. She then asked to see John's license. I was feeling a bit neglected so I asked her if she'd like to see my license too. She did. I figured I'd make her visit worthwhile. it's the first time I have been checked in years.

As for fishing, John and I had a good day.

Articulated flies are becoming quite popular. A notable example is Joe Bruce's articulated bullethead darter. That's a fantastic fly. I think he should call it "Pickerel Candy". But I find it difficult to tie. I can make it but I'm never pleased with its appearance. Mine never look as polished as Joe's. Fortunately, the fish haven't been as critical of my work. Also, I like flies I can tie in 5 to 10 minutes tops. Bulletheads take me longer. So, earlier this week I was experimenting and came up with a very simple articulated fly. It's a bucktail in the back and crystal chenille in the front:

Articulated Fly.jpg

It's my "Fly With No Name." If by chance I copied an existing fly, it's purely coincidence. I had never seen one before.

The question for me today was would it work?

Here's the answer:

P1040531 (2).jpg P1040525 (2).jpg

John and I combined today for almost 2 dozen pickerel. We didn't catch them all on flies. We got a few on soft plastics rigged weedless with spinning rods. I got most of mine on the Fly With No Name. I'll keep tinkering with it but I was pleased. However, I'm most proud of John for taking up the long rod. He did quite well for only his third time on the water fly casting.

Lastly, even though it's technically spring at the hour I am typing this post, the pickerel were still in their winter pattern today. I got none near the shoreline. Open water on the flats was the key in finding them today.
        Attached Files
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm wondering how your no-name fly (Mark's articulated piker) would look with a red saddle hackle palmered around to build up a collar at the tie-in.
          It would give you a bit more of a slower drop, and bulkier profile.
          Think "Whistler" fly.
          Are you wrapping some lead wire under the front section?
          Last edited by bignose; 03-20-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks Stu.

Palmering hackle would be a nice touch and easily done. I'll try that.

I added no weight. I like flies for pickerel to suspend in the water column rather than drop suddenly.

However, I was using intermediate line today to get it just a tad deeper than floating line.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks Stu.

Palmering hackle would be a nice touch and easily done. I'll try that.

I added no weight. I like flies for pickerel to suspend in the water column rather than drop suddenly.

However, I was using intermediate line today to get it just a tad deeper than floating line.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

You'll need to wrap some fine wire around the palmer hackle or it will last exactly one fish. Lol

Comment

Nice going guys. Cool fly too, Mark. Fly fishing from a kayak is challenging for me. I gave it a go one afternoon last weekend and I'm out of practice for sure.

Comment

Tom,

It’s a cliche’ but let the rod do the work.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

I am definitely a newbie, but it’s fun. A switch from a spinning rod. But a challenge
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                      X