Pond Bassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond Bassing

Early in the year I enjoy fishing my local community ponds. They warm faster than larger bodies of water and, well lets face it, they have limited places where fish are going to hold just due to size. This makes it easier to find them but they’re starting to see lots of baits as other fisherman come out of hibernation which can make the bite harder. They’re also accessible to fish from land on days that getting the yak out is questionable from a wind perspective. As I walked around the perimeter I noticed lots and lots of fresh crayfish dens.

Normally I’d throw a crawfish shaped jig Carolina rigged but the weed growth on the bottom makes this a frustrating experience. I opted for a Senko and I went with one that has a pink tip hoping it might seem like a claw flash.

Well it seemed to do the trick as I landed 7, lost 2 at the shore, and easily had another 10 bites. Nothing huge, biggest probably went 1 1/2 lbs. Most of the bites were extremely subtle, you needed to be watching the line on the surface to see the small snap in the line that said a fish had picked it up. The interesting thing yesterday was the fish were already orienting to shade. I thought for sure the sunny banks would hold them but my best luck was casting along the shade/light edge and letting the Senko just sink and then give a small hop when it hit bottom.

I tried today after the cold front came through. Managed 2 but the winds made it very difficult to properly fish the Senko and the cold front gave them some lock jaw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Very informative report and wise lure selection given your observations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X