Tidal Bass- Middle River Exploration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidal Bass- Middle River Exploration

What's up all. I work in Roland Park, which makes a post-work jaunt over to fish the Middle River area quite enticing. I've never fished there though, so I'm not quite sure what I'm in for in terms of tidal bass fishing. I put this in the Freshwater section because my target will primarily be largemouth, along with any snakheads that want to show up. I've fished plenty of tidal waters for bass (Tuckahoe, Mattawoman, etc.) but don't know much about Middle River. I'd be launching from Wilson's Point Park, and was thinking of pitching docks, running chatterbaits and crankbaits along walls and docks, and seeing what materialzed. I know they have had some fish kills there in recent years, so any info on what's happening there and tips for breaking it down would be awesome.

As a sidenote: Boy does it feel good to be talking warm weather fishing again!
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

I hear a lot of talk about snakehead over there on the facebook fishing pages. I’m interested to know what’s up over there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by acwatkins View Post
      I hear a lot of talk about snakehead over there on the facebook fishing pages. I’m interested to know what’s up over there as well.

I agree. I heard that talk as well. I've got 5 rods rigged up with some high confidence bass/snakehead lures, and will likely try a few others this evening. It should be an interesting adventure. I'll report back with conditions and (hopefully) catch report.
      Matt

Comment

Had a great time on the water yesterday exploring Middle River. Launched from Wilson's Point Park, which has two boat ramps and ample parking along with bathrooms. After I unloaded everything, a really nice DNR officer came and checked for a PDF and valid license. I had a great talk with him, and he even pointed out a beach area about 15 yards from the launch where he said a lot of folks launch their kayaks. I definitely prefer sand to the boat launch as my keel rash is rough. The officer was such a nice dude, and helped me carry my things over to the launch. We chatted a bit, and he mentioned he had just gotten out of the academy, which I congratulated him for. It was the first time I'd been checked in 5 years, and the guy was excellent. We both went on our way.

The wind was pretty heavy when I first launched, probably sustained 15 with higher gusts. I scooted across the creek into a back cove and tossed a slashbait, fluke, perch pounder, and chatterbait. Didn't get any love, but I did startle what I'm pretty confident was a 17-20" snakehead. I tossed my fluke up into the very back of a small cove, where there was muddy bottom and some reeds/sticks laying across the water. As soon as the fluke hit there was a big swirl of movement from about 6" of water in towards the shore. My heart started racing like crazy, and I kept throwing back in there with a few different things, but he never came back. I kept thinking it over, and unless it was a carp sunning itself I believe it had to have been a snakehead. The shape of the body, dark color, and the fact that I don't often see carp just sitting idle in the shallows like that made me pretty sure. I'd love some input.

I fished up into the back of Cowpen Creek to stay out of the wind, and while there was a bit of surface action from some smaller fish I never got a bite until I was making my way out of the creek. Tossiing a pink fluke and working it out from shore, I got some nice sharp tugs and set the hook on a 20" pickerel. He was in rough shape! Two massive, perfectly spaced scratches running vertically on his side: eagle talons. Really narrow escape at some point for that fella. He's got some stories to tell!

While that was my only bite, I really enjoyed exploring the new water. I chatted with another kayak fisherman on my way in who had just bought a Lifetime Tamarack and was testing it out. He was really pleased. It was a shame I couldn't stay out longer (I read that the gate is locked at sunset and didn't want to risk it) because it was glassy calm on the way in with a beautiful sunset. I definitely plan on getting back out there, as I could see it being a really fun after work place to get a line wet with quite a few potential species to be caught.
        Matt

Comment

Awesome report! Good to know there’s some patrolling around there too, I like seeing them. Sucks ya didn’t link up with a snake but it sure seems like they’re there. Better luck next time. I might go check that place out sometime next week.

Comment

Working...
          X