Kayak Fishing for Rainbow Trout 34-6-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fishing for Rainbow Trout 34-6-2019

Ron Ault, loned me his Hobie Compass so we can both fish Lake Wheatley that was recently stocked by the DNR. The weather was great on Saturday, warm with low winds. We caught 4 different species of fish, and came just shy of limiting out on rainbow trout. Here is a video of the day. The date on the video is incorrect. It should have been April 6. I was just too tired when finishing the video...enjoy!

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Nice video as usual Martin.

What I find amazing is that those rainbows and their ancestors for countless generations were raised at a hatchery and fed fish pellets. Yet that instinct to chase fleeing food simulated by the Mepps spinner has not been bred out of them.

What an enjoyable day for you and Ron.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Whats a good lure to use for these?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Nice video as usual Martin.

What I find amazing is that those rainbows and their ancestors for countless generations were raised at a hatchery and fed fish pellets. Yet that instinct to chase fleeing food simulated by the Mepps spinner has not been bred out of them.

What an enjoyable day for you and Ron.
        Mark,

I was just discussing this very thing with a friend the other day. The analogy I use is a domestic cat - they have not had to hunt for their prey for generations, but they still feel the urge to chase a piece of yarn, or chase a mouse.

Last year, I caught several put and take rainbows in Deer Creek in Harford County on those small Berkley pre-rigged white swim shads. They absolutely destroyed it as soon as it hit the water. Some of the most aggressive strikes I've seen. I thought it was a huge smallmouth when it hit. It's just how they are wired.

Steve
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I tried using spinners like a beetlespin, but the trout would not touch it. They only wanted the mepp spinner with the gold blad, not the silver blad.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

This is a memory maker for me...back in 2010 I was wanting to try kayak fishing after reading a Sports Afield article about fishing the bayous of Louisiana for speckled Trout out of a kayak...Bill, Kevin and Martin agreed to take me to Wheatley Lake to my very first ever time in a kayak...pay back time...anytime I can I want to let these Snaggedliners know just how much I appreciate their generosity and friendship...when I heard Moc’s boat had a crack, and he would be without a kayak for a month, no way I would have a fully rigged spare Hobie Mirage Drive and not offer him the use of it...and I have to admit it looked really nice being used by a master angler who knew how to catch fish...always enjoy our trips regardless of catching fish or not...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X