Upper Potomac Damn #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac Damn #4

Does anyone know how the fishing is around damn 4 on the Upper Potomac. My Daughter and her BF want to take their new Vibes for a test run this weekend, weather permitting, and do a little fishing. NOT looking for any spots just a yea or nay. TIA
    2017 Hobie PA14

Water can move quick through there but you can launch from the WV ramp. Caught some nice Walleye there this past February. Watch the water levels before you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The water is at 8' on the Hancock gauge and that quite high for below the damn. McCoys ferry above the damn would be abetter place to play and learn the kayaks. Boats don't go above the ramp very far do to the rocks.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Flow at the Hancock gauge is 7.6 feet... that's too high/dangerous for me and I've been fishing Dam #4 for a couple of decades. That's just too much water for me. Plus a big storm is due on Friday afternoon which will push the river even higher by the weekend.

Not knowing the skill level of your daughter and BF I'd suggest they should back-off kayaking there this weekend. BTW, a kayak can be launched from the Maryland side of Dam #4. No ramp, but It's about a 100+ foot carry to the water's edge. Not difficult for 2 people carrying if you first scout out the easiest route.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I took them to Black Hills in MOCO.
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
          X