7 species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 species

I visited three freshwater locations on the eastern shore today and caught 7 different species.

The first location was far upstream on the Choptank. I spent more than an hour casting small twister tails and shad darts from several shoreline spots. I managed 1 hickory shad, 1 river herring, and 3 tiny white perch.

Next I drove to Smithville Lake and launched my paddle kayak. I fished the lake for about 3 hours. I looked for shaded locations close to shore with overhanging trees or areas where there was a defined narrow channel among the trees and lily pad fields. I quickly caught crappie, largemouth bass, and pickerel. As I was almost ready to head for the ramp, I caught my 7th species of the day – a fat bluegill. My total catch at Smithville was 3 pickerel, 4 bass, 3 crappie, and 1 bluegill. None of my fish were huge, but I was really happy to get that variety. Most of the bites came on a 2” twistertail on a 1/16-oz jighead. I caught one bass on a small spinnerbait and another on a paddletail.

On my way back to Rt 50, I launched at Martinak State Park. The ramp puts you into Watts Creek, a freshwater tidally influenced creek. I had no success there, and did not stay long.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice going John, but a sad sign of the times when our local waters are not producing any fish.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice work, John! Those twister tails are truly the Swiss Army Knife of freshwater fishing. That sounds like a fun day.
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

John,

I like Smithville at this time of year and again late in the fall. With the cypress trees at the upper end it reminds me of a mini version of Trap Pond.

I've never tried the other two areas you mentioned.

Glad you got out and found a variety of willing customers.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X