Close to home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close to home

We were all surprised when John Veil took a picture of a snakehead in a tributary of the Severn last week.
    But to me, that is still a 45 minute drive from my house in Columbia. Not too close........

Today I was hiking along nearby suburban stream, less than a 15 minute drive from my house, and I observed this young man getting ready to leave with a 22" snakehead he had just caught
    (what is also impressive is that he caught this with an ultra light rod and reel with 4 pound test!).

IMG_1209.jpg

Welcome to the future.
    It is Snakeheads and Blue Catfish!

Stu -

Think of snakeheads as the next species to add to the list of fish caught by a Bignose spinner. Your model with the double blades might put up more of a racket and get their attention.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wait did I miss a post somewhere?! I didn't see John's post of Snakehead in the Severn... thats insane! On another note I have no doubts Snakehead would hit a BigNose spinner... they hit chatter bates regularly...
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
        Wait did I miss a post somewhere?! I didn't see John's post of Snakehead in the Severn... thats insane! On another note I have no doubts Snakehead would hit a BigNose spinner... they hit chatter bates regularly...
        The good news is I no longer have to trek 2 hours & across the BB to E. Shore, now that they're in our backyard!
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Mike,

Did you ever get out on the Bush River to hunt for snakeheads?

Steve
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Cool Stu,

I believe I know the exact spot of your photograph. Yes, I am interested in snakehead fishing without driving to Mattawoman Creek or 45-60 minutes away.

Not sure how they will impact flows like those where I believe this one came from. It will be interesting to see how natural barriers might impact their movement up the flow.

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X