Lakes/Ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lakes/Ponds

Greetings Snaggedliners. Question for the group are there any good ponds near the Annapolis area or within a few hours drive to put the kayak in to fish for some bluegill, bass, or crappie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer is yes, there are many.

In MD, consider theses lakes that are across the Bay Bridge:

Wye Mills, Unicorn, Tuckahoe, and Smithville. Information about each can be found via an online search. Note -- They're Eastern Shore ponds with none larger than 54 acres but MD calls them lakes. So, search for "Tuckahoe Lake", etc.

For Delaware go to this this website: https://dnrec.alpha.delaware.gov/fis...fishing-ponds/

Look especially at the ponds listed for Sussex County.

The majority are well within 2 hours of Annapolis.

I will be doing a presentation on kayak fly fishing at these sites at the upcoming HOW flea market in Odenton on 18 January, 2020. They're great fun to fish in the spring, now in the fall and all winter long, in fact. I hope to convey that fact.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Short answer is yes, there are many.

In MD, consider theses lakes that are across the Bay Bridge:

Wye Mills, Unicorn, Tuckahoe, and Smithville. Information about each can be found via an online search. Note -- They're Eastern Shore ponds with none larger than 54 acres but MD calls them lakes. So, search for "Tuckahoe Lake", etc.

For Delaware go to this this website: https://dnrec.alpha.delaware.gov/fis...fishing-ponds/

Look especially at the ponds listed for Sussex County.

The majority are well within 2 hours of Annapolis.

I will be doing a presentation on kayak fly fishing at these sites at the upcoming HOW flea market in Odenton on 18 January, 2020. They're great fun to fish in the spring, now in the fall and all winter long, in fact. I hope to convey that fact.
      Mark,

Thanks for the info brother. I am planning on trying to get a trip soon to get on some fish.

Comment

You're very welcome.

For what it's worth, I believe the DE ponds are better managed, easier to access and generally provide a more productive fishing experience.

But the MD ponds can provide a quick "fix" if you need to wet a line.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          You're very welcome.

For what it's worth, I believe the DE ponds are better managed, easier to access and generally provide a more productive fishing experience.

But the MD ponds can provide a quick "fix" if you need to wet a line.
          Roger that. The DE lakes may give me a better reason to hit some breweries up there

Comment

About 1.5 hours from southern Annapolis is St Mary’s Lake. Often overlooked but it’s a big body of water by local standards, over 300 acres and depths over 20’ in spots. Has a very healthy population of pickerel in addition to your desired species. $3 State Park fee to park, has a ramp for launching. Did I mention this side of bridge during construction.

Be aware if you have a pedal kayak, the lake has lots of deadheads to bang into. Like an iceberg assume many more lurking just below the surface from the ones you can see.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike,

I really need to make a trip to St. Mary's Lake. I haven't been there in years but I recall the underwater "mines" you mentioned.

A few years ago when I questioned the MD DNR about the absence of tidal pickerel, they had no answer. However, they recommended that I go to St. Mary's Lake if I wanted to catch them. It's good to hear that the pickerel are still doing well there.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by gshappell
                If you want a quick trip on smaller lakes try the lakes in Columbia. Can usually get some bluegill and bass and occasionally a crappie.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
                Thanks bro. I’ll look them up

Comment

Working...
                X