Trout fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trout fishing

Any of you guys do any local pond trout fishing. Think I’m going to try Allen pond in Bowie Friday for some trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Str8 Yakkin View Post
    Any of you guys do any local pond trout fishing. Think I’m going to try Allen pond in Bowie Friday for some trout

Have they stocked it yet? If not it’s pointless

Comment

I think they did a few weeks ago

Comment

DNR trout stocking reports are available and you can subscribe so DNR notifies you...not a huge fan of eating them, but fun to catch and release on UL tackle...I use a 1000 series spinning reel with 6# line on a 6’ ultra light rod for them...and every now and then a bass gets on...that takes it up another notch or two...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

the maryland DNR trout stocking page is here: https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P.../stocking.aspx looks like they stocked 400 trout roughly a month ago so there should be some available for the catching. I have gone to Allen pond as well as a few others in PG this year and last year, generally with decent success. For me trout in Allen pond seem to prefer yellow spinners (if not using bait). Lake Artemesia is closer for me so I go there more often, don't bother going to greenbelt lake, they're doing dam/spillway construction so it's water level is way down, and it's a bit of a mess right now (I don't think they stocked it this fall because of the construction).

good luck!
          -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
            the maryland DNR trout stocking page is here: https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P.../stocking.aspx looks like they stocked 400 trout roughly a month ago so there should be some available for the catching. I have gone to Allen pond as well as a few others in PG this year and last year, generally with decent success. For me trout in Allen pond seem to prefer yellow spinners (if not using bait). Lake Artemesia is closer for me so I go there more often, don't bother going to greenbelt lake, they're doing dam/spillway construction so it's water level is way down, and it's a bit of a mess right now (I don't think they stocked it this fall because of the construction).

good luck!
            Thanks for the info

Comment

I haven’t done the stocked pond, but I tried three trips in Deer creek (~500 trout) while wading about a month ago. I only saw two trout in three days. One was a golden about 20” and the other was a rainbow about the same size. Couldn’t get a bite, but it was a lot of fun trying something new. I tried using spinners and an assortment of powerbait.
              J

Comment

Mepps spinners with gold blade and the red plastic sleeve around the bare treble hook in the smaller sizes is my “go to” trout lure, but they also take the small Rapala minnow, gold spoon, & small soft plastic swim shads...after I find them by trolling, I cast to them...and since I don’t especially like them on the table, they are OK, but pretty bland...it is fun time catch and release. So not concerned with filling a stringer, I experiment with lures to see which ones work with them and how they like the lure presented..with the 1/8 oz gold spoon it is a reel, pause, jerk retrieve...and they seem to hit it mostly on the falling, fluttering action. With the Mepps spinner, they just slam it on a slow, steady retrieve- same with the Rapala minnow...bear in mind, this is all done on ultra light spinning tackle with spider web thin lines that allow super sensitivity...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                X