7 ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 ponds

Hello all. Address any of you familiar with the Seven Ponds in Charles county, off of Md 225? Trying to find out if they're big enough for the kayak.

You referring to Myrtle Grove? Lots of stumps and underwater tree trunks...not a place for peddle kayaks...but it is heavily stocked with put and take rainbow trout by DNR...lots of bank fishermen go there.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-19-2020, 10:03 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      You referring to Myrtle Grove? Lots of stumps and underwater tree trunks...not a place for peddle kayaks...but it is heavily stocked with put and take rainbow trout by DNR...lots of bank fishermen go there.
      I'm curious too...looking at the maps...there is an area near the Mattawoman Creek bridge, near the water treatment plant that has 7 ponds, when viewed with satellite...but it looks private, with a private drive.....I've taken my kayak to the large pond at myrtle...but have had the best luck with the fly rod around the vegetation to the right.....I've heard there is more water through the woods (canals?)...but have never ventured there...
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Thank you.

Yes, I'm referring to the ponds near the junction of Rt's 225&224. The ones that you're talking about.

I've been looking at them from a satellite app, and am curious.

Comment

I've been fishing this area for a long time. Maybe I can shed some light on these ponds.
          Pond map.jpg
          There are two sets of ponds shown "A" and "B". "A" has always been part of a private rod and gun club, the road leading back to them has a locked gate. "B" shows the location of ponds belonging to Myrtle Grova WMA. There is a small pull off and parking area which is marked "C". I have not tried to fish these ponds for several years. Last time I was there the banks were very overgrown. Casting from the shore was a pain. If you are willing to drag a kayak in, you may have better luck. I prefer to spend my time on the large pond in a kayak or the two "canal" ponds.

Hope this helps

Comment

Just left there....very overgrown, and probably the best place to get snakebite later this year, if the ticks don't take you down first. I managed a 12 inch bass and an6 inch crappie from the second pond. Left two small.spinners on the same tree limb....it is a pain to cast...but you can cast nearly across the smaller pond's....I wouldn't bother with trying to get a kayak in there....but you may be more tenacious than I am. I didn't see any small fry around the edges. Lots of turtles, ducks, and a turkey. It's part of the Myrtle grove wildlife management area. It seems like a great area for snakeheads, if they happen to make it there from Mattawoman. The water is thin and swampy in the corners....
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
            X