7 Species and a Mishap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Species and a Mishap

This morning I drove to the Eastern Shore and fished in two freshwater bodies. The first was a flowing stream, and I fished from the shore. I caught hickory shad, some small white perch, and a sunfish with an orange belly (possible redbreast sunfish??).

2003-08-01 00-00-03.jpg IMG_20200510_154636.jpg 2003-08-01 00-00-08.jpg

I drove half and hour to a lake where I launched my kayak. I paddled to the upstream end of the lake and fished the narrow channel between lily pad fields. During my first hour there, I caught a "pond slam" -- largemouth bass, chain pickerel, bluegill, and crappie. After catching seven species in two hours of fishing, I was pretty pleased. I should have stopped then.

2003-08-01 02-10-04.jpg 2003-08-01 02-43-18.jpg 2003-08-01 02-00-44.jpg 2003-08-01 02-32-21.jpg

I left the upstream area and was preparing to fish the rest of the lake. On one cast my jighead caught on a lily pad. I tried to bounce it loose, but it would not release from the stem. I paddled up next to the pads and pulled hard. The lure came loose, but the hook point buried itself in the middle finger of my left hand. I cut the line and attempted to remove the hook. Unfortunately, it was in deep, and the partially crimped barb would not back out the same hole without doing a lot of damage.

2003-08-01 03-11-38.jpg

I paddled one-third mile back to the launch with the lure hanging off my finger. There I used pliers to push the hook point through the skin, making a second hole. Then I cut off the barbed end of the hook. Once that was done, I could easily back the rest of the hook out of the original hole.

2003-08-01 03-16-06.jpg

The photos I took of the wound are out of focus, but you get the idea. I applied hand sanitizer and some bandaids to complete the job. I was not keen about getting more lake water in the new wounds, so I called it a day and headed home.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

In the words of Tommy Boy, That’s gonna leave a Mark. Glad you got it out.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Sooner or later, if you fish long enough, you will hook yourself.
      That must have seemed like a long paddle back to get to the ramp.
      We've all been there.

At least it was in your "off" hand. Imagine trying to get the hook out of your right middle finger with your left hand.

And it could have been much worse......so all in all, a positive outcome.

Comment

Something I have done more than once..not fun...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ouch John, at least you caught fish! Last time I did that I gripped and ripped bc I didn't have pliers with me. Took a long time to heal. Way to be cool under pressure.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

Thanks for posting about that trip and the hook problem. I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often to us.

Comment

Working...
            X