No announcement yet.

Upper Potomac smallmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you fish upstream or downstream from the Brunswick Bridge?
    How weedy was the water on the Maryland side?

As you continue to gain experience in river fishing, your catch rate should improve. The Potomac has not been producing smallmouths in large numbers as has been discussed on the forum recently.
    The smallie in your picture is about the average size of the fish I used to catch on the Patapsco near Daniel's Dam.
    They are a lot of fun, until you realize some of the bait fish we use on the Bay are that size. Lol

If you really want a learning experience, you can book a float trip with Mark Kovach's Fishing Service. He runs a day long trip float the river from Harper's Ferry down to Brunswick using a large raft.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
      Give a “A” for the effort John. Did you kayak or walk the shore?
      I used my kayak.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
        Did you fish upstream or downstream from the Brunswick Bridge?
        How weedy was the water on the Maryland side?

As you continue to gain experience in river fishing, your catch rate should improve. The Potomac has not been producing smallmouths in large numbers as has been discussed on the forum recently.
        The smallie in your picture is about the average size of the fish I used to catch on the Patapsco near Daniel's Dam.
        They are a lot of fun, until you realize some of the bait fish we use on the Bay are that size. Lol

If you really want a learning experience, you can book a float trip with Mark Kovach's Fishing Service. He runs a day long trip float the river from Harper's Ferry down to Brunswick using a large raft.

I fished mostly upstream but spent the last 45 mins downstream.

The current was a lot stronger on the MD side, so I stayed mostly on the WV side. I did not notice any particular accumulation of grass when I was on the MD side. I looked for spots downstream from rocks or logs so I did not need to fight the current. I made dozens of casts upstream, downstream, and cross-current -- it didn't really matter, the fish were not interested. When in the shallows on the WV side, I saw several carp swim near me.

Given my poor river fishing results, and the travel time to get to the upstream Potomac, I think I will stick with tidal fishing for a while.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Greg and I could take you on some floats up here. The Antietam is pretty much immune from the bad flooding and the fish bite all the time as the water never gets hot. Trout hold in it all year. We both have trailers to make it happen.

I live three miles above the battlefield.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I was out today near Brunswick. Didn’t catch any where near the smallmouth as a few years ago, that I anticipated from the reports.
            What I did not expect was the carpet of algae all over the bottom, covering rocks and just floating down in the current.
            There was also none of the grass mats/clumps that I’ve seen before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is encouraging news:

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P..._stocking.aspx
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going! love me some Summer Smallies