Multi -Species Float - Brandywine Creek, Chadds Ford PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi -Species Float - Brandywine Creek, Chadds Ford PA

Haven't posted a freshwater report in a long time, but this was perhaps one of the most fun kayak fishing trips I have had in fresh water.

My good friend recently got into kayak fishing with me, and we have been doing float trips with our wives recently - a good social distancing activity - and since we are both blessed with very patient wives, we fish along the way as much as we can. We put in at the Brandywine River Museum and took out at Smiths Bridge, about 4.5 miles as the kayak floats I think. I had the feeling the day was going to be a good one, when the first cast I made with my little beetle spin/white grub brought a very large red breasted sunfish to the boat. Shortly thereafter, I switch over to a grey/white/silver flake twister tail on a 1/8 oz jig head and proceeded to catch fish all day. I bet the average size of the sunfish I caught was over 6 inches - fishing ultra light with 6 lb. test, I don't care who you are, that's fun!

I had never fished the Brandywine, but I know they stock it with trout, and I was surprised to see how cool the water was. I didn't see any trout, and I doubt any left over would have made it through those two weeks of hot weather we had recently, but they would survive now for sure. The habitat was perfect and fish were holding everywhere you would expect them to. There was some sand, gravel, small river rocks, large boulders, some SAV, undercut banks with tree roots, ledges, etc. Sight fishing for sunfish, smallmouth, and even fall fish was a blast - very rarely did I make more that 4 or 5 casts without catching something...which brings me to my next topic - multi species.

All told I caught 8 different species of fish today - smallmouth bass, laregemouth bass, fall fish, red breasted sunfish, green sunfish, bluegill, rock bass, and white crappie. I saw a bunch of yellow perch but could not get one to eat. My buddy hooked one but it got off at the boat. The largemouth I caught was very small - my buddy called it a key chain - but I saw some swimming around that were probably 10 - 12 inches. But...the target species was smallmouth, and I was NOT disappointed. Probably caught about 8, with a couple in the 8 - 10 inch range, but also included was my personal best. The unofficial measurement against the rod when I got back to the truck was 18 inches. Have a look for yourself!

Brandywine Smallie 09132020.jpg

Definitely a personal best for me, putting an exclamation point on a really great day on the water. 4+ hours floating, great weather, overcast skies. Oh...and I did flip my kayak for the first time, but rolling over on a rock in 18 inches of water is definitely less traumatizing than I would imagine turtling in the bay would be. Rods sunk to the bottom, no damage, the only thing I lost was a spool of 12 lb test leader.

Steve
    Bel Air, MD
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice report.
    Did you try top water at all?
    Even though I live surrounded by Tidal water, I spent the last 15 years fishing mountain rivers for smallmouth,, it is my 1st love.
    We typ do a 2 day, overnight on the river trip, some years we did 6-8 overnight trips.
    I took the wife once,, and only once. She loves to kayak, she loves to fish. But I typ take 1-2 hours to cover a mile, sleep in a hammock, and minimalist on the camping gear. My wife tried to pack the house into a kayak.

We now enjoy fishing our local tidal waters together.
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Smallies on the top is my favorite!

Comment

Steve,

That's a wonderful trip -- aside from your splashdown.

An 18 inch smallmouth is a good one in any water.

Congratulations on your personal best and your species variety.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I did try topwater, but we got on the water at 11, so maybe a little late for it. I tried a few times with no luck, even though it was overcast a lot of the day. A couple of weeks ago on the Juniata, I was getting topwater hits for the first 10 minutes, nearly on every cast, then it shut down like a switch as soon as the sun was above the canopy.

Also, another reason why it's good to have a fishing partner - I tried white, my buddy tried yellow/chartreuse, then we finally locked in on the grey/silver and that was all we used the rest of the day.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
          X