Live crawdads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live crawdads

My kids love playing in this little creek in our neighborhood. Over the weekend my son came home with a bucket of about a dozen small crawdads. Maybe 2-3 inches on average, not soft shells but not totally fully hardened up either.

We took those bad boys down to the local res and absolutely lit up some fish in the middle of the day, which is usually not how it goes there mid day. We caught bass, white perch, and some monster bluegills.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else knows where they can get a hold of some fresh craws.

The Monocacy River is FULL of crawdads. I've never seen a river with so many crawdads in it. I was scouting a possible put-in location at sun set this summer and shined a flashlight into the shallows and saw literally hundreds of them along the shallows.

With so many crawdads, I can't understand why the Monocacy has such lousy smallmouth fishing, except that I guess it's so flashy and so muddy during spring floods that it makes nesting unsuccessful. This has certainly been the case on the upper Potomac the last several years, and no reason to assume it wouldn't be the same there.
    -James
    My Tupperware Navy
    Ocean Kayak Trident 15
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13
    Ocean Kayak Trident 11
    Necky Kayak Dolphin 14
    Aquaterra Prism 14

(yeah, I got too many kayaks)

Comment

Working...
    X