A good day on the lake 7/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good day on the lake 7/24

After snakehead fishing last weekend I was in the mood to keep throwing the frog around, so I decided to hit one of my favorite lakes yesterday. I arrived at 5 am, well before the sun was up. I blindly threw a Megabass popper in the dark to no avail. When twilight started illuminating the lake I could make better casts but still no luck - plus my braid kept getting fouled on the front hook of the popper which was getting very annoying. So I put on a frog and started hitting the lily pads and it wasn't long until I got the first fish of the day - a chunky largemouth that was holding tight to a fallen tree in between the lily pads and the shore (click on the thumbnails to see full-size pictures, I'm trying a new image hosting method):

Not long after that I got a second fish on the frog - I don't remember exactly where this one was hiding but I suspect it was an almost identical scenario as the first one but the fish was even prettier:

I caught a third bass on the frog, a tiny guy, and then the sun broke the tree line and it started to get hot. I started throwing a 5" swimbait around in the shallows and caught 2 bass. Then I threw a crankbait in deeper water and managed a small crappie but no bass. Despite the sun in the sky I went back to throwing the frog because I found a little corner of the lake that looked too good not to. A few casts later and I caught.... a bullfrog!

Not five minutes later I caught another one. These little guys were feisty. As soon as my frog hit the water I could see them make a bee-line for it. I'd try to move it away from them but that only made them attack it faster. Luckily they were pretty easy to unhook and I sent them back on their way.

Now it was really getting hot so I put the frog away and put on a worm. I quickly figured out that the ticket to using this worm was to cast it as close to cover (lily pads, fallen timber) as possible and let it drop. If the fish didn't hit it on the drop then they weren't there. I caught 2 nice bass and a pickerel with this tactic.

All in all it was a great day. I caught 7 bass, 1 crappie, 1 pickerel, and 2 bullfrogs. The sun stayed mostly behind clouds which kept the heat down a little, there was no wind which is absolutely unheard of for this lake, and I had the lake all to myself which is also nearly unheard of, especially on a Saturday.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Great report Dave. That’s wild about the bullfrogs. Never heard of them being that aggressive, or hooked for that matter. Learn something new every day.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Great report Dave. That’s wild about the bullfrogs. Never heard of them being that aggressive, or hooked for that matter. Learn something new every day.
      I've had them chase my lures before but never hooked one till yesterday. If I had something to keep them in I would have been eating frog legs with my dinner last night
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Dave,

OK...You've definitely exceeded my lifetime total of bullfrog catches. I've never caught one on a hook.

I think you're dealing with a mutant species of frog in that lake!

My advice is to watch out for the snapping turtles in there if the frogs are that aggressive.

Very nice report.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Dave,

OK...You've definitely exceeded my lifetime total of bullfrog catches. I've never caught one on a hook.

I think you're dealing with a mutant species of frog in that lake!

My advice is to watch out for the snapping turtles in there if the frogs are that aggressive.

Very nice report.
          Biggest snapping turtles I've ever seen in my life were in this lake. It's a bit jarring when you're in a foot and a half of water and one of those suckers just moseys up next to your kayak.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
            I blindly threw a Megabass popper in the dark to no avail. When twilight started illuminating the lake I could make better casts but still no luck - plus my braid kept getting fouled on the front hook of the popper which was getting very annoying.
            This is why I always use a leader or just straight mono/fluoro when throwing treble hooked lures. Braid is too flexible, and is always getting tangled with the front treble hook. Its especially bad with topwater lures because braid floats making tangles all the more likely.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

I have have tried fishing surface lures and flies in the dark on several occasions and I have never done well. It sounds good in theory. But it has never worked well for me in practice.

It's amazing how much I rely on eye/hand coordination in casting and setting the hook. When I cannot see precisely where my cast has gone and when I lose visual contact with my offering, I rarely hook up. I may hear a splash and feel a weight momentarily on my line, but that's it. I strike too soon or too late and the fish and I part ways.

However, low light at dawn and dusk when I can still see well enough is one of my favorite and most productive times to fish topwater.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Buzzbaits are the one topwater lure that has really worked for me at night. Probably because most of the lure is just below the surface.
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                X