DNR stocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNR stocking

My first of every year fishing trips start out with the "put and take" trout...I subscribe to the DNR trout stocking schedule for the early Spring "put and take" trout fishing. If you get out on the ponds/ impoundments within a day or two after the stockings you have the best chances for success. I am not a fan of eating these hatchery raised fish, so it is strictly catch and release for me. I exclusively fish artificial lures- a couple of lures that work well for me are the small Mepps French spinner without a dressed hook ( blade colors of gold and silver both seem equally effective ) and the small Rapala count down minnow in gold color. I fish the Mepps Spinners with a small ball bearing snap swivel to prevent excessive line twist on 6# monofilament on a 1000 series spinning reel and 7' Cabela's UL Fish Eagle rod. This is my fresh water crappie, pike, bluegill and trout outfit. Naturally, I step it up to a much heavier rod reel combination for catfish, but for all other fresh water use, this Ultra Light outfit is a ton of fun and gives the fish their due. The small lures I use ultra light fishing have tiny treble hooks that makes it difficult to land thrashing, hard fighting fish, so I swap out the trebles for in line single hooks that are much stronger and hold the fish a lot better once hooked. You can order the in line single hooks from most tackle store like Bass Pro Shops- I am partial to the Owner brand but Mustad, Gamakatsu and others make good in line single replacement hooks. If you fish the spring DNR stocked trout, good luck and give UL fishing a try- it can be a lot of fun- a nine inch hatchery raised rainbow trout fights like a champ on 4-6 pound line! And the sound of drag running off the 1000 series spinning reel is addictive...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-07-2022, 08:39 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Bill and I kayaked Wheatly Lake this morning...Gilbert Run Park is closed but you can access the lake by using a scupper cart up a walking path a couple of hundred yards and beach launching near the dam. It is a "uphill" pull going but the plus is a downhill leaving...we both caught our limits before noon...I was throwing back the smaller fish and only keeping the larger Rainbows...caught a largemouth bass as a bonus C&R fish...this is a rite of Spring for me...it is always my first fishing trip...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I fished Hutchins Pond in Calvert Cnty today. They recently stocked it. Had never trout fished before so had to ask Alex at Anglers last night what to do and how to do it. Got there at 11:30 am and was using a small treble hook with scented dough on it. Landed two fish in 90 minutes. My brother and I only saw two other anglers while we were there. I’m keeping an eye on the stocking schedule and hope to go out again. Of course, it going to be 60 degrees tomorrow so I may go after Chain pickeral off the Magothy!
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X